Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Import and paste text of new note to existing not (Read 4672 times)
russ lipton

Import and paste text of new note to existing not
Dec 31st, 2008, 12:40pm

What I want to do:

1. Import a note(s) (for instance, using tab-delimited table);

2. Find the existing note which has the same name as the imported note;

3. Replace the text of the existing note with the text of the imported note.

Have been experimenting with actions, rules, shell commands without success so far.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Import and paste text of new note to existing not
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2008, 12:55pm

Yow!

How many of these do you need to import?  And is this a one-time project, or will you need to import additional notes often?

Will the target notes (as opposed to the imported notes) all reside in the same container?  That might help. Can we rely that their names are unique (modulo the newly-imported note)?

WWW   IP Logged
russ lipton

Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2008, 1:11pm

I confess I'm still wrestling with Tinderbox <--> CMS (Expression Engine) piping of fields/data.

Importing-exporting new notes (records) is easy, using any of several mechanisms for both tools. Passing updated (editing) existing notes between the tools is a b*tch.

I don't mind using tables, RSS, comma-delimited files or a shell command to move the data, providing updates can occur.

Answering questions: ongoing need; hundreds or thousands of notes over time.

Target notes could reside in the same container, though not optimum re productive/creative use of mapping.

Yes, existing note names will be unique across the document, modulo the newly-imported note.

(Elegant-powerful though Tinderbox is for blogging, EE offers value-added security, powerful member groupings and a raft of features for integrating varied user interaction into the texts - including but also going beyond justly maligned 'comments' Wink. Ideally, I would map, write-edit, (re)organize/manage everything in Tinderbox, with EE as the repository for published content and any subsequent interactions with readers).

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #3 - Dec 31st, 2008, 1:20pm

My first impulse would be to use a pair of stamps to GET information from the CMS to a note, and to POST a note to a given CMS entry.  You could use curl to handle the http heavy lifting.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print