Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Feature request: Change email note name (Read 3801 times)
Nigel Green

Buckinghamshire, UK
Feature request: Change email note name
Jan 08th, 2009, 3:19pm

I am using Tinderbox and Quicksilver to send new notes to my Tinderbox(es) by email. All is working well, but I would like to be able to set the name of the note that the emailed notes are added to. In my case I would like the messages to go in a note called 'Inbox' rather than the default 'Mail'. I have set up an OnAdd action to move them as they come in, but it would be nice to be able to set the name of the note the messages are added to in the Mail preferences panel.

Does this sound possible/desirable?

Thanks,
Nigel

IP Logged
Nigel Green

Buckinghamshire, UK
Re: Feature request: Change email note name
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2009, 5:07am

I think my terminology is a little off - I mean to say that I would like to be able to set the name of the container that emailed notes are added to, defining the name to use when I set up the email preferences for that Tinderbox.

Nigel

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Feature request: Change email note name
Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2009, 9:05am

To clarify existing behaviour - where a TBX is correctly set to get email.
  • If no note called 'Mail' exists, a note (container) of that name will be created to hold email.
  • If one - or more (dupe note names are allowed by TB) - note(s) called 'Mail' exist, the first in outline order will receive emails.
Thus, if you've more than one 'Mail' note and move them around such that the email-receiving one is no longer first in outline order (expanded outline as read top-to-bottom) then a different 'Mail' container will receive all subsequent email. OK, 'Mail' is an unlikely dupe but I can see 'Inbox' be unwittingly used more than once.

So, if Nigel's idea is taken up, I'd suggest the TBX document preferences 'Mail' panel be given an extra imput box. "Name of email container:". The user would enter the path to their chosen container name. When the preferences are closed the following logic would be applied:
  • If the Name box is empty, a container called 'Mail' is created at root level. The path to this note is then written back to the preference (i.e. it shows as '/Mail' when next opened)
  • If 'Mail' already exists, the first such-named note is set as the target container, and the path saved as above.
  • If a user defined path is given, and if not already existing, TB would be create the folder (and as necessary, the path to it).
By using paths rather than note names this would pre-empt the problems that dupe names can cause in relation to changing oultine order.

If the hood is raised on this feature and if it's not difficult to actually set a port number in the email request TB sends, it might be worth considering also adding a new Mail preference box for citing a non-default port number. IOW, blank is default (110?) otherwise the number cited is used.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print