Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Drag + Modifier to Create Duplicate or Alias (Read 8890 times)
steve harf

Cleveland, Ohio
Drag + Modifier to Create Duplicate or Alias
Jan 24th, 2009, 5:59pm

I use aliases quite a bit in Tinderbox. I typically first create the alias and then have to drag the alias to the desired location.

I would find it very convenient to be able to use a modifier key during a drag of an item (in outline or map view) to create an alias where ever I "drop" it (let go of the mouse button).

The behavior could be the sames as the Finder. In the Finder holding the Option key during a drag creates a copy of the item. Holding the Option and Command  key during a drag creates an alias.

- Steve Harf
WWW steveharf   IP Logged
AndyDent

CTO of touchgr.am,

multi-platform

developer
/>

Perth, Western Australia
Re: Drag + Modifier to Create Duplicate or Alias
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2009, 10:24pm

I would love the same feature and requested it some time ago but failed to be sufficiently convincing that it was worthwhile.

In particular, I would value this when creating mindmaps of related areas, as I pointed out in the wiki

WWW   IP Logged
steve harf

Cleveland, Ohio
Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2009, 3:35pm

Andy, thank you for confirming that there is more than one person interested in this feature.  

Part of my desire to have drag and drop aliases is my "style" of using Tinderbox. I often have several outline views open at a time, I use a lot of aliases and I regularly move the alias once created to a different window.

For example, I have an outline of notes on people and a separate one for companies. I place an alias of a company as a "child" of a people note.  Perhaps this is an improper approach.  I would like to hear of alternatives. Admittedly, links can be used in some cases as substitutes for aliases, but links are messy when there are a lot of them and hard to visualize in the outline view.

For Mark B, is it possible to re-visit the pros and cons of this feature in this forum?

- Steve Harf
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2009, 5:49pm

So the underlying driver here, if I understand you correctly, is a problem visualising interrelations in a hierarchical layout like Outline? Outline, versus the pretty much 2D layout of map view (not totally 2D as we can see some child container info). I only note this as if the underlying problem is clear it may be easier for Eastgate to resolve that rather than (or as well as) the alias/copy issue.

« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2009, 3:59pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
steve harf

Cleveland, Ohio
Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2009, 8:48pm

Mark A,

Thanks for joining in. I don't see visualization of relationships in outlines as a real problem - I have "solved" the problem using aliases as children of a note. It just means that I create a lot of aliases as a result. (I am curious how others have approached this issue.  I would just like my "style" of using Tinderbox to be better supported through the ease of drag and drop aliases.

- Steve Harf
Johnnie Wilcox - mistersquid

San Francisco, CA
Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2009, 11:49am

Count me in on this feature request.

IP Logged
Evan Harmon

Reply #6 - Mar 24th, 2009, 7:09pm

I would like to add my support for this feature addition as well.

IP Logged
Johnnie Wilcox - mistersquid

San Francisco, CA
Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2009, 10:28am

It's here!

Quoting from the 4.6.0 release notes:

opt-drag duplicates notes
cmd-opt-drag makes aliases of notes

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator