Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tinderbox for spreadsheet design (Read 3647 times)
Penny

Tinderbox for spreadsheet design
Feb 10th, 2009, 12:11pm

I usually use Tinderbox to keep track of what I'm doing, reading, thinking about, etc. But today I used Tinderbox to help me organize my thoughts on creating a spreadsheet. It took a couple of minutes to create the Tinderbox document, and once it was done, I immediately understood what I had to do in the spreadsheet.

I'm the treasurer of my housing co-op and every year I compute the mortgage and tax shares for each unit. This year, two units changed in value because of construction and one of those units was later sold. And the city's tax year runs from May through June, with quarterly payments. So I created a note for each month, with different colors to indicate the change in ownership and gradients to indicate the change in shares, and a badge to indicate the month in which the quarterly tax payment was made. I used adornments to indicate which quarter each month was in. It sounds more complicated in words, but visually it was very clear which tax payments had to be divided to account for the changes in share and the changes in ownership.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Tinderbox for spreadsheet design
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2009, 2:13pm

Neat idea.  As TB export can be used to export formats like tab-delim text your idea could even be taken further by producing some of the structural info like column heads, etc. You'd simply import the tab-delim file into Excel.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print