Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Add new Agent without updating (Read 4054 times)
Xavier

Add new Agent without updating
Mar 01st, 2009, 2:43am

Almost always, I only need agents to update once before export to HTML.

Because I already have a lot of agents, and create about 10 new ones each day, not having agents update when adding a new one would save me 15+ minutes a day.

This might be a good feature to consider as the size of the average Tinderbox document grows over time.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Add new Agent without updating
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2009, 7:52am

A workaround - give your agents this Rule:

if(today > ($Created + days(0,0,0,5))) {$AgentPriority = 0;}

The rule says "if today (i.e now - each time the agent runs the rule) is after the agent's creation date + 5 minutes, then set the agent's AgentPriority attribute to 0 (0 = off)".

To reduce the amount of evaluation you could try (not tested):

if(($AgentPriority = 0)&(today > ($Created + days(0,0,0,5)))) {$AgentPriority = 0;}

In AND (&) join I think the second argument isn't evaluated if the first is untrue, thus if the agent is already turned off the rest of the Rule isn't evaluated, thus not adding to agent update cycle time (as it sounds like you've lots of agents).

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Xavier

Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2009, 2:34pm

Yes, I already set priorities to "0"/"off", however there isn't a way to prevent updating the very first time you create an agent.

I think my agent update time is about 15 seconds for my two largest Tinderbox documents, and (in 3.5+ at least) gets longer with each successive update, such after I add a few agents I need to save, quit and reopen before adding more.

This is the only aspect of Tinderbox which causes me some frustration and is minor compared with its myriad and expanding benefits, and I have become addicted to agents – they flush out possibilities I'd otherwise miss.  

In retrospect, I am using agents much like people use tags in blogs, but creating many more permutations (for HTML export).

For example I will have agents that find notes that contain:

ascorbic acid
ascorbic acid but not ascorbyl palmitate
ascorbic acid and ascorbyl palmitate
ascorbic acid and ascorbyl palmitate but not bismuth oxychloride

Ideally I would like to have all possible permutations within a given set of terms generated automatically as individual agents.

Using site search on the exported HTML gets around this, but I prefer to have the data set at a fixed URL.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2009, 3:25pm

15 second update cycle sounds long.  I think you might do well to contact Eastgate support directly, as they might want to see your TBX.  Doubtless you're doing something (albeit unintentionally) that the designer didn't imagine. However, quite often - especially with Tinderbox - there's usually a different approach to the same goal that does work.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print