Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
agent does not move notes anymore! (Read 7976 times)
Sebastian Stephenson

agent does not move notes anymore!
Mar 06th, 2009, 3:17pm

Before tinderbox 4.6 i was able with an agent to move my notes to an inbox and now I can't. Here is the query and the action as of now

query: Name(".opml")
action: $Container="/inbox";

I have tried to removing quotes and dollars signs and everything possible to move it and the closest I get is the agent making alias in the container

and this will not do as the notes have children in them and need to be filed away so please what it the problem?

thanks.

Sebastian Stephenson sebey9   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: agent does not move notes anymore!
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2009, 3:40pm

The query uses a regular expression, so Name(".opml") looks for a note whose names contains ".opml" not as you assume one containing .opml that is not enclosed in quotes in the actual Name. As your query fails in v4.5.3, I suspect the query you quote isn't exactly the the one used before and you've misunderstood the new 'rules' about quoting strings (I agree - it's hard until the penny drops!).

The usage AttributeName(regular expression), otherwise AttributeName(pattern), is not a $AttributeName reference where we quote applied values or an Attribute(path) usage where we don't quote paths (I don't make this up). In a query of the  AttributeName(pattern) type, the 'pattern' is a regular expression - only put in the actual characters or regexp codes you wish to be matched.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Sebastian Stephenson

Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2009, 3:57pm

ok I removed the quotes in the regular expression but now I have only ailas coming in and at that only one of the alias that have the the .opml regexp matched to it

what do I do now?

Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2009, 5:07pm

I don't quite understand your answer. The contents of an agent is always an alias, so I do wonder if that's what you really meant. Without seeing your data it's hard do guess why the agent is returning the the results you describe.

If you can't post a simple text, could you post a list of note names that your query doesn't find, but which you expect it to? It is important that the names you list are exactly as in your TBX or it will be impossible to test effectively.

« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2009, 5:07pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Sebastian Stephenson

Reply #4 - Mar 7th, 2009, 3:46am

sorry what would happen before 4.6 is that the oringnal notes would move to the container" /inbox" but now in 4.6 an ailas is created and I want to know how I can switch that back to moving the oringnal notes instead of an ailas there

Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Mar 7th, 2009, 11:36am

Ah, I remember. You now need to use $Container(original). This is how Mark B explianed it to me:

Quote:
If we're an agent, and we've just found a note that meets our
criteria, we add an alias and run our onAdd action:

Color=red;Xpos=3;Container="/Done"

What gets turned red?  *this* gets turned red, and so does the original.

What gets moved to x=3?  *this* gets moved.  The original is left
alone; and the alias is moved.  (CHANGE introduced in 4.6!)

What gets moved to a new container?  Yep: the alias!

So, what you want to say is

$Container(original)= ....

This isn't extra complication for the sake of it, allowing aliases to do more in their right is part of enabling some of the 'dashboard' type display that got trailed elsewhere re v4.6.

If you don't use $Container(original) and leave the agent running you'll end up with hundreds of new aliases - like I just did. no problem to weed in a test file but a pain if you've other real info in the 'inbox'.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Sebastian Stephenson

Reply #6 - Mar 7th, 2009, 12:12pm

Ok it works again thank you but I can not see the relationship between the change to enable a dashboard like functionality with given alias more priority over the original notes  as in like having a bunch of notes that pass the certain query and then make alias move to a container for easy access (not necessity needed answering in fact I had it a minute ago but nevertheless it would be nice)

or with mark b explain himself later on about this. thanks again

Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #7 - Mar 7th, 2009, 12:35pm

If I felt I could answer more correctly on the alias vs original I would.  I think the idea is that you can have maps of aliases that can have their own X/Y position and colours, etc., allowing their position on the map and coloring to indicate...whatever you want it to. Meanwhile the original is safe , untouched elsewhere. But I'm not 100% sure.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Sebastian Stephenson

Reply #8 - Mar 9th, 2009, 9:46am

ok sweet thanks for the help

Pages: 1