Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Audio inline (Read 6257 times)
mhanlon

Winchester, MA
Audio inline
Mar 24th, 2009, 11:45am

I would *love* to have the ability to listen to audio files inline... here's the thing I'm trying to accomplish:
I have a writing folder, a scratchings note, in which all the stuff I'm working on gestates. And when I'm not in front of a computer, I've taken to recording voice notes on my iPhone to supplement some of these scratchings, or with the idea that it'll kick one off.

I'd love to be able to create notes for each audio file and link it to the note or notes it is most applicable to and be able to listen to it inline, in Tinderbox. Sort of like Scrivener...

I'm totally happy following along with the steps outlined in http://www.eastgate.com/Tinderbox/forum//YaBB.pl?num=1236179730 - or even scripting a solution which keeps watching the audio recordings directory and adds new notes with a File and/or URL attribute of the new recording(s)... but I'd love to be able to hear my notes inline in the app so that I don't have to launch Quicktime and then leap back into Tinderbox while I'm listening to the clip and getting back to taking down a note about the recording, or expanding on it textually...

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Audio inline
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2009, 1:16pm

I'm wondering if there's some OS service that could be hooked that would start playing your file without the player taking app focus; either that or calling a command line*. Building a full control (start/stop/pause, etc.) into the TB note UI would be a lot more work by comparison (and, I'd guess thus less likely to come to fruition).

* Aha. Here's a freeware audio player (not tested). You could use RunCommand to call the applet. If you're using 10.5 you could possibly use afplay. I'm not offering up as an expert - these two suggestions were from a quick Google for possible solutions - I've no real command line expertise.

The one limitation here - and in the earlier thread - is there's no button to which the user can attach an action (not in the TB sense) of choice.  The Script button in the note sidebar is the closest match but it means, in his case for instance, writing an AppleScript to call the command line which seems an unecessary extra integration step.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2009, 2:34pm

FWIW, I just tried this rule:
  $MyStr = RunCommand($Command);

I stored the command line in the note's $Command:

afplay /Users/mwra/Desktop/wyntonstribute.mp3

And my mp3 plays. WARNING - the problem is this will cause the audio to be called every time the rule files.

This AppleScript works to achieve the same (without the unintended looping):
tell application "Finder"
     do shell script "afplay  /Users/mwra/Desktop/wyntonstribute.mp3"
end tell

Note that to attach an AppleScript you must use the compiled (resource fork) format. The problem with the script above is that if set to run on note open, the note doesn't draw on screen until the script completes (perhaps a different script code might make the script return once the command line is called).

So neither approach meets the OP's need. I only note this here to save others trying and incase a more script-savvy person sees a better solution lurking.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Johnnie Wilcox - mistersquid

San Francisco, CA
Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2009, 10:54am

It looks like you, mhanlon, are constituting a new workflow. You might find my Finder Files to Tinderbox (link to announcement) helpful.

If your audio files exist in a particular place on your hard drive or if you have Finder aliases to those audio files (which will allow you to move those audio files without breaking the Tinderbox notes generated by FFtT), you can use FFtT to import links to those audio files into a Tinderbox document.

The notes generated by FFtT will have local URLs that you can click on to tell the Finder to play the linked audio in your system's (configurable) default application.

::tiptoes toward a feature request::

I would love it if I could pass this off to another program so the files played in the background on demand similar to what Mark A. suggests. However, this would require an interface manipulable from within Tinderbox to run a program on command, something like "Run Command Now." It would be super nice if Tinderbox could also pass data through this interface.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print