Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Link without navigating to target AND browse back (Read 6781 times)
Roscoe Brooks

Link without navigating to target AND browse back
Mar 26th, 2009, 7:59am

I'd like to create links in Explorer View without Tinderbox automatically jumping to the target after the link is created. It can be cumbersome to switch back to the source note. If there's more than one link pointing to the target link, "Go Back" will often go to another note.

I'd also like to browse back and forward in any view, just like you can in any web browser. This is different than "Go Back" and "Navigate", because those traverse links. Browsing back and forward traverses the user's viewing history.

Thanks for any suggestions!

« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2009, 8:37am by Roscoe Brooks »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Link without navigating to target AND browse back
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2009, 9:15am

The History view - views menu shows your your session viewing history. It doesn't hold a 'forward' history like a browser - open a past item in history view rolls the history back to that point. It only lists notes, so it's not following views. Still, as one usually have several views open (perhaps not in your case) it would be hard to track such multi-threaded history. For now the history view is you best friend for finding things. Cmd+` (backtick) will cycle open TB windows if the problem is getting the right window. Cmd+Shift+` cycles in reverse.

How are you linking that causes the jump of focus? I recognise the scenario but forget how to trigger it!

« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2009, 9:17am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2009, 9:31am

Sorry, this thread got trashed somehow (mea culpa) - back now.

Ah, Explorer, view I remember. I don't think there's anyway around this. Ideally, it would be a preference of some kind as to whether creating a link set Explorer focus on the target or not; some users will want one behaviour, some the other and a few will want either by context of present work. I'm in the 'not follow' camp, FWIW.

Anyway, I just tried in v4.6.1 and in the above Explorer scenario the History view will show the last note viewed and allow you to jump back to that - so there's a fix of sorts.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2009, 11:45am

Tinderbox selects the destination of a link when you make a link.  That's often the most convenient approach. (Storyspace leaves the source selected, and we had the same discussion about Storyspace!)  In particular, it's much easier to make chains of links if linking leaves the destination selected:

A->B->C->

It might make sense to allow a variant (perhaps right-click/ctl-click) on the link-forming click that would _not_ select the destination.  Discussion welcome.

WWW   IP Logged
Roscoe Brooks

Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2009, 11:59am

I had deleted the topic and split it into two in the Feature Request forum, because I decided that's probably what it would end up being...

I'd love to see the default behavior for creating links in Explorer View changed in a future version; it currently seems inconsistent with the rest of Tinderbox and very rarely useful. If a user really wants to navigate to the target note, they just clicked on it to select it as a target, so they can easily click on it again to open it.

I'm familiar with the workarounds for history/views and it's certainly better than nothing, but, as you indicated, it has no integration with any of the views, so browser-style back/forward would still be a valuable addition. I can have multiple web browser portals (tabs/windows) open of different areas of a website, and they each have their own back/forward list, and that's OK and a very useful presentation metaphor/feature. The same would apply to Tinderbox. Tinderbox is so far beyond the web in so many ways that it seems a surprising omission.

Thanks for your help and wonderful software!

« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2009, 12:02pm by Roscoe Brooks »  
  IP Logged
Roscoe Brooks

Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2009, 1:21pm

When a link is created in a text window to a target in an Outline View, the target is NOT selected. However, when a link is created in Explorer View, the target IS selected. From the user's perspective, this is inconsistent, largely because in one case the source note's text remains and in another is replaced. I suggest standardizing the behavior so that the target is NOT selected by default. That's a good default, if for no other reason than that this is the least surprising/confusing behavior in Tinderbox's various usage scenarios: the separate text window is NEVER going to be changed, but the Explorer View text window COULD change, therefore NOT changing it by default is consistent. Then allow the user to press the Alt key in the new link window to change behavior of the OK button (and perhaps the label; something like "Navigate"). Of course, adding a preference toggle for the default behavior would provide the ultimate flexibility.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2009, 1:36pm

For my 2 I'd support a preference here as I think it is most likely users will want either A->B-> (as now) or A->B A->C (as being requested) link focus behaviour. I might want one or the other but rarely both in same (TBX's) session. By comparison, having a preference for edit-in-place works very well - I have it on by default, for new docs but off in most of my mature docs where titles rarely need to change and accidental edits are a bigger risk.

Um, that's assuming supporting both behaviours is a reasonable possibility...

« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2009, 1:50pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print