Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Displaying Text in Map View (Read 4432 times)
Amafortas

Displaying Text in Map View
Mar 26th, 2009, 2:48pm

Page 70 of the manual reveals that it is possible to display some of a note's text in the map view when the note is "sufficiently large."

I have two questions about this feature:

1. How large is sufficient?
2. Is it possible to force the display of text no matter how large/small the note is?

Thanks,

~A

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Displaying Text in Map View
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2009, 2:55pm

Roughly speaking, the note must be large enough to display the title, some space beneath the title, and a "reasonable" amount of text.  

Right now, that's (a) one line of text if there's very little text, or (b) three lines of text if the text is longer.

WWW   IP Logged
Amafortas

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2009, 3:08pm

Mark,

Ok. I think I misread the "sufficently large" part. I thought it was talking about the amount of infomration in the note. However, I now think the manual refers to the note's  "physical" size in the map view. Have I got it right?

However, I'm still doing something wrong. To play with the feature, I created two notes with the identical amount of text in them and dragged the edge of the each not to make them the same size. One displays some of the text in the note. The other does not. Is there a setting I should toggle? (Also, when I create a new note a handy window pops up with a large space for the title, display expressions, and the like. Can I open this same window for a note that I've already created?)

Thanks,

~A

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2009, 3:37pm

To answer the closing question - yes. To re-show the 'create note' dialog you select the note and do any of:
  • Note menu -> Rename
  • Right/Control-click (not all views) and select 'Rename'
  • Press Ctrl+C or Ctrl+Enter (not Return); note - current Mac laptops have no Enter key.

As regards the text display, ensure you are using v4.6.1 if you aren't already - it fixed an issue in relating to text display in Map view.

« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2009, 3:37pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Roscoe Brooks

Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2009, 4:07pm

I generally use Fn-Return, which is basically the Mac's hidden Enter key (in fact, my keyboard's Return key also includes "Enter" in little letters to indicate its dual function). This works anywhere in Tinderbox (and any other app) as Enter proper.

« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2009, 4:07pm by Roscoe Brooks »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print