Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Feature request on how to select several objekts (Read 6280 times)
Peter Sass

Feature request on how to select several objekts
Mar 31st, 2009, 7:12pm

I have a suggestion for the next update, and would like to hear any opinions.
Do you recognice the situation where you want to select all notes but just a few? Maybe even select all notes, but not adornments? Have you ever been in a situation where you want to select seven out of twenty notes? As far as I can tell there is no convenient way to do it, and I find it a bit strange. Illustrator and Quark Xpress are applications where you will find yourself doing a lot of selecting and deselecting. They have a common keyboard rule, and I suspect that they are just following common Apple rules for good user interface practices, that if you click one thing, you select it, if you press shift and click, you can select any number of additional things at your pleasure. If you select all (apple-a) you can deselect any selected objeccts by pressing shift and clicking away. Would it not be good practice, very convenient and not hard to do to implement this keyboard rule in Tinderbox?

IP Logged
Johnnie Wilcox - mistersquid

San Francisco, CA
Re: Feature request on how to select several objekts
Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2009, 7:42pm

Tinderbox does follow these conventions in outline view, for example. To select non-contiguously, hold down the Command button and click. To select a range, select the first item and then hold down shift and click.

If you want to select all in a range but a few, select the range (as described above) and the deselect specific items by holding the Command key down and clicking those items you'd like to deselect.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2009, 4:00am

On the map view (actually any major view), hold the Opt key down and drag-select as many objects as required. Use Cmd+click to deselect unwanted objects. It is not possible to start a drag select if the cursor is inside (i.e. over) a map adornment

From v4.5, map adornments aren't selected if they are locked, making it easier to select just their contents. However, the same limitation about starting a Opt+drag within an adornment applies.

Doing a shift select upwards on the page was broken for a while (downwards worked fine) but it's fixed in v4.6+.

Have you looked at the aTbRef keyboard shortcuts section? If not, you may find it useful to do so.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Peter Sass

Reply #3 - Apr 1st, 2009, 7:26am

Yes, it works as you say. I tried both shift and option yesterday and couldn't make it work as I wantet, but today it works in the same dokument, so it must be me who did something wrong. Thank you for explaining this. Sometimes somebody else has to point out something that should have been obvious, and I feel a rather stupid when that happens. I am on an older version 4.2.5

« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2009, 7:28am by Peter Sass »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Apr 1st, 2009, 8:22am

In which case see this older aTbRef for shortcut lists: http://www.acrobatfaq.com/tbx/index.html

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #5 - Apr 1st, 2009, 11:37am

Don't forget marquee-select on the toolbar, either!

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print