Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sorting at the Top Level? (Read 5290 times)
Charles Turner

New York, USA
Sorting at the Top Level?
May 05th, 2009, 6:16pm

Hi all-

I searched around a bit to see if I could find anything on this subject, and didn't. But apologies if I've overlooked something.

I'm clear how to sort notes in a container or agent, but how does one sort at the top-level?

More generally, is the top-level behavior different from a note (ie it doesn't have all the attributes of a note AFAIK); and where can I get more info on this topic, or what is conventional wisdom with regard to the top-level?

Thanks, Charles

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Sorting at the Top Level?
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2009, 6:24pm

De-select all notes, and click Cmd+Opt+i . this opens the Info view dialog for the overall (doc) container.  Select the 'Sorting' group of attributes and set your sort criteria there.

« Last Edit: May 5th, 2009, 6:27pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #2 - May 5th, 2009, 6:53pm

Or, better, select the root node in the chart view and use Get Info or QUICKSTAMP to set its sort attributes.

My suggestion, though, would be to avoid sorting the top level.  You're likely to have a mix of things at the top -- data, notes to yourself, prototypes, whatnot -- and sorting them might be confusing.  Your mileage may vary.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - May 6th, 2009, 4:35am

It's worth noting that the chart view (at root level anyway) draws the whole TBX. For a large TBX this can create a very large diagram which your Mac, depending on its speed, may take a while to re-draw as you move the view around. Fine with smaller TBXs (the case for most users I suspect), but if you find the chart view too big/sluggish for your Mac's horsepower you may do best to revert to using Info view to set root level sorts.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Charles Turner

New York, USA
Reply #4 - May 6th, 2009, 10:01am

Thanks you two for the very complete response! I see M. Berstein's point about not wanting to sort at that level, however...

:-)  Charles

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print