Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Starting Oot (Read 5343 times)
Rick Taylor

Starting Oot
May 16th, 2009, 1:31pm

As I mentioned before I'm new to Tinderbox. I don't have any specific questions at this point; it's just helpful for me to write things out as I think. I've played with many organizers over time: Ecco Pro (one I actually used), Zoot, Mori, and Journler in particular. I'm attracted to it because of its flexibility, Mark's excellent support and because notes are also containers.

I'm making a point to spend at least some time every day using, organizing, and learning Tinderbox. Using means typing in notes and using it to keep track of things. Organizing means thinking about the structures I want to create in Tinderbox. Learning at this point means reading the manual and trying out features.

I'm trying to keep things simple, not to create structure for structure's sake. I'm also more familiar with the outline metaphor, so I'm starting with that aspect of the software.

I liked Journler's model of using a diary metaphor, having diary entries going into one main folder, where they can be cloned to other folders for organization. So I've created a Diary folder sorted backwards by date. Random To Do's are going in another folder for now. For now it's mostly a convenient place to keep notes.

Reading the Tinderbox Way, I felt I learned something reading the section on how one should use one's PDA. A PDA is for calendar events and for To Do's that you really do expect to do that day; it is not meant as a local repository for the hundreds of to do's from all your projects, both proposed and critical. I do wonder how people get information into their PDA, if there's an automated method or if it's just a matter of copying things back and forth as needed. One of the great things about the now defunct Ecco Pro was it synchronized it's folders with those on a Palm Pilot which made it easy to get information in and out.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Starting Oot
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2009, 2:08pm

If you haven't found it yet, open a browser window open on aTbRef as you tinker. It can help with those contextual-type questions of "what does this menu/dialog/code do?"  That's what I write/use it for!

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Rick Taylor

Reply #2 - May 16th, 2009, 2:27pm

Thank you, I hadn't found that yet. Just starting on the Objects and Concepts entries now.

IP Logged
Paul Walters
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 16th, 2009, 5:38pm

Getting things to a PDA.  One method I use is exporting from Tinderbox into a CSV (making a the Tinderbox template for this is quite simple) then uploading that into Toodledo.  There are iPhone and Palm OS apps for accessing Toodledo, which handles to-dos and has a notebook.  One could also email individual notes from Tinderbox to Toodledo which will parse a simple syntax in subject lines of emails.  In addition to Toodledo, Remember the Milk, and other sites do similar things.  A similar workflow in the opposite direction is possible.

« Last Edit: May 16th, 2009, 5:39pm by Paul Walters »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print