Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tiddlywiki for large research files? (Read 11264 times)
Marisa Antonaya

Montreal, Canada
Tiddlywiki for large research files?
May 20th, 2009, 10:22am

Hello everyone,

I've just been playing around with the TiddlyWiki template for TB, and reading through the original TiddlyWiki site. I really like the idea of a single file that will store my research, as well as notes for my students.

However, I'm a bit confused as to some details, and would love to hear from anyone who has more experienced.

For example, the way the file seems to work, I can't have indented notes because they won't show up in the export. So is this way of structuring my TB file out?

Also, is there any way to get rid of the Getting Started link and note? I can't seem to do it from the HTML editing interface, so I'm guessing I'll need to go into the code.

And in general, would this type of format be practical for a large number of research notes, or is it better suited to smaller endeavors? If anyone could point me to sample files/sites, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Tiddlywiki for large research files?
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2009, 12:34pm

From a quick poke around the project, the reason you have to use non-nested notes is the 'tiddly' template, line #5171, insert the note data using ^justChildren()^ (deprecated in v4.6+, use ^children()^ instead). Try replacing it with ^descendants^ - from a quick check that works.  Note that your nested TB notes will be included in exported HTML in a flat list in OutlineOrder order; the latter you can't change - move the notes in TB to alter their listing order when exported. You can exclude any single note from the overal export by setting that notes HTMLDontExport to 'true' (untick export top left in the note's own HTML view).

The GettingStarted is controlled by code in the merge() call in lines #371-388 and by the function applyPageTemplate() at lines #3380 - 3407. Before radical surgery on unwanted entries I'd check there aren't side effects. The JS code could do with a run through JSLint to disambiguate the code (and doubltless bowl out a few unexpected code results).

The current TiddlyWiki disk image file, when used with v4.6+ requires the TBX to be re-saved as a new TBX and the templates reconnected.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Doug McLachlan

Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2010, 11:29am

Is there a dmg that will work with 5.0 or can someone please explain how to re-connect the export templates.  

thanks / regards,
Doug

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2010, 5:25am

Export templates. 3 are included but I can find evidence of only 2 being used. You may find it more convenientConnect them like this:
  • The prototype 'tiddler' should be set to use 'note'.
  • The 'NOTES' container should be set to use 'tiddly'.
  • All top level containers other than 'Notes' should be set to not export and to not export their children (easiest via HTML view - un-tick top 2 boxes top-left of dialog).
The existing TBX has scant instructions but I've also figured out:
  • Note 'UserName'. This note's $Text is your TiddlyWiki editing name (see TiddlyWiki site for more info). I assume this should be a CamelCase name.  The name is used as a parameter by the 'note' export template. You should only need to set this up once.
  • 'DefaultTiddlers'. This note's $Text is a space delimited list of the tiddlers (notes) you wish displayed on the 'home page' of your TiddlyWiki. Re-edit as when required to alter your 'home page' content.
  • 'SiteTitle' and 'SiteSubtitle'. The $Text of these are the name and sub-title of your TiddlyWiki. You should only need to set these once.
  • Rulers (Separator notes) inside 'NOTES' are ignored for export if there have no title or text.
It is worth pointing out that the main code engine (in template 'tiddly') is somewhat out of date.  It is v2.0.11 and the TiddlyWiki site shows it at v2.5.3, so you might want to consider downloading the new version and updating your 'tiddly' content with the new version. If you do this you'll need to check what's changed - I doubt it's a drag/drop replacement.

If anyone does update the core demo, I'd suggest that - as for any Exchange file - that export templates are always made internal.  User can always re-externalise them if they wish. But, if templates are internal, there is no problem for other users of correctly re-connectin' the templates before first use.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Doug McLachlan

Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2010, 11:34am

Thanks for all the great info Mark,  I'll give it a go.

cheers,
Doug

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print