Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Small change to "Explode Note" (Read 3967 times)
Paul Walters
Ex Member

Small change to "Explode Note"
Jun 01st, 2009, 8:57am

It seems that when Tinderbox (4.6.2) explodes a note that it places a carriage return at the beginning of the text of the 2nd through nth resulting note - if the option is to explode using a delimiter.  This doesn't happen if the explode option is "break at paragraphs".   There are work arounds (e.g., explode using paragraph breaks then delete the extra notes whose name equals the erstwhile delimiter; or, use an agent to eliminate spurious carriage returns in the text).

Please consider a small feature change to cause Explode not to add that extra carriage return.

Thank you.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Small change to "Explode Note"
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2009, 9:20am

When you use the delimiter option, what are you entering for the delimiter, and are you ticking the 'delete delimiter' sub option? If I understand you correctly, in the exploded notes there is a blank line before the text starts?

I can't replicate this. What is the source of your text & how is it getting into TB? I'm wondering if it a cross-OS line-ending issue.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Paul Walters
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2009, 10:37am

1) To replicate - make a Tinderbox document and a note with the following text.  Explode the note using "---" (no quotes) as the delimiter.  Whether with or without "Delete delimiter" selected, the second and third note will have a carriage return at the first line in the text.  Sample note:

One
---
Two
---
Three

2) ... And, having written that, I now see why this happens.  The string "---" ends with a carriage return in the original note and so it is left in place by Tinderbox when the note is exploded.  If the delimiter is "---\n" (again, no quotes) then this does not happen.  If I had RTFM, I would have known that this is covered in the manual under "Exploding". (Although, what the manual says seems to be the inverse of what happens in fact.)

Hence - no need to modify Tinderbox

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2009, 10:52am

Yes, reading your latest all makes sense; glad you figured out the problem.

In the meantime poking at Explode some more I can report that TB does a pretty good job of dealing with different line ends and 'blank' paragraphs to give a good mapping to expected (hoped for!) output.  Doubtless if you push data around hard enough you'll be able to make for something that might split well (as Unix/OSX uses \n line ends, Windows uses \r\n, Classic Mac uses \r).

If you you have control of the format of data destined for TB & Explode it's worth thinking the process through backwards, e.g. something that makes the best title, might best be created/exported so it immediately follows the delimiter on which you'll explode. That much came out from earlier experiments with Skim exports. I believe further polish to Explode is probably in the pipeline (if I read Mark B' tweet stream correctly).

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print