Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New to Tinderbox--Spreadsheets (Read 6182 times)
Richard Lerner

New to Tinderbox--Spreadsheets
Jun 10th, 2009, 9:20am

Can I put an updatable spreadsheet as part of a prototypical note?What I wish to is have a note for milk yield of a each cow in a herd. Each cow would have its own note, and I would be able to enter food intake and milk production, as well as some other information on a daily basis. Or would each day have to be a different note (highly inconvenient)?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: New to Tinderbox--Spreadsheets
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2009, 10:48am

Quote:
...updatable spreadsheet...

If you mean an embedded spreadsheet as say embedding an Excel table into a Word document that updates the Excel doc when you edit the Word table, then no.  TB notes basically hold text data, object embedding of the type just described isn't possible. A note can be set to read data from a source such as a web page or RSS feed, or you can drag in tab-delimited text exported from a spreadsheet.

Still, there's often more than one approach. Do you need to collect data from the spreadsheet or to write to is as well?

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Richard Lerner

Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2009, 11:04am

Thank you for answering

The idea is to  able to both update numbers and observe trends. I suppose I could keep updating the spreadsheet and moving it to tinderbox, but that seems tedious. Would it perhaps be better (possible) to make a link from a tinderbox note to a spreadsheet? the question then is where to keep the spreadsheet...

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Jun 12th, 2009, 12:31pm

[Been away a few days]

What spreadsheet are you using? Office v?, Number v?.  I think your best idea is link to link to the sheet.  A problem with your idea of editing a 'table' inside TB is that's not what you'll get. You're putting in tab-delimited text so it won't format in columns in TB unless all entries are the same width - each 'cell' in a row is simply text/tab/text/tab/text/...etc. If the data isn't in the grid (as I suspect you're assuming then it will be hard to find the info you want.

If you can cope with the latter, you can export the note to text and import it back into your spreadsheet (though you'll get no formatting (fonts, bold, etc.) in spreadsheet. You'd then edit the data in your spreadsheet, re-export a tab-delim text file and import that to TB. Not tried this, but it ought to work though I guess it's too cumbersome for your needs.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print