Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Seeking ideas for Mapping Relationships (Read 6753 times)
Rodney

Seeking ideas for Mapping Relationships
Jun 12th, 2009, 10:11am

I am presently working on a project where I want to visually show the relationships within a group of people. As I have been working on this some questions/problems have arisen that I am sure others have already worked through.

1) How do you represent multiple links between two people? The problem I see is that the text is over the top of other text for the link and the link lines are also obviously over the top of each other. It would seem to me that I would need to take advantage of other elements i.e. adornment to graphically represent multiple relational dynamics.

2)  How do you represent a mutual relationship? (i.e. brothers) do you do this as one way or both ways? When you go to browse links it only shows outgoing ones, though I do see both inbound and outbound are seen when you click on the link arrow on the note.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Seeking ideas for Mapping Relationships
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2009, 1:42pm

Do you mean family relationships, or generalized relationshps among people -- lines of influence, affinity, association?

For mutual relationships, I think you want two links.

It is sometimes convenient to arrange for some link types to be straight links and other curved; this can help keep different links separated.  But, inevitably, once you have *lots* of links, things will get tangled in the map.

Consider, too, how you might use adornments and/or attributes to represent some relations.

WWW   IP Logged
Rodney

Reply #2 - Jun 19th, 2009, 9:51am

Mark, Thanks for your response.

I was referring to both family and other kinds of relationships. You confirmed my thoughts about the need for mutuality.
I have employed multiple layers of adornments, links (colors and names), and badges and so was asking to see if there were ways I could stretch my use of MapView further.

I have another question Mark.

Is there a way to see the kinds of links in the RoadMap. For instance I have a list of names but I can not tell how they are related i.e. family, business, etc. The only way at this point, that I can see, is to open Browse links for each note as it comes into focus in the RoadMap view.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Jun 19th, 2009, 12:00pm

[A different Mark replying!]

Re Roadmap and Links, you are correct. Roadmap doesn't differentiate link types and also only lists basic links and text links (i.e. normal internal TB links) and not hierarchical links (like parent-child) such as may be created when exporting to HTML, etc. You are right that you need to open the Browse Links as well to differentiate which are which link type.

Perhaps a feature request is that either Roadmap view might incorporate a pane showing the (Browse) Links list or that the two can be slaved in some way to open together.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #4 - Jun 19th, 2009, 7:08pm

Incidentally, we're currently testing a new layout of link labels in the map view; this may be helpful, though it's not a panacea.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print