Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
html file names (Read 7652 times)
AsafKeller

html file names
Sep 10th, 2009, 8:24am

When exporting notes as html, the titles of the individual exported files retain the name of the original note, but spaces between words in the title are lost. I understand the utility of this for html codes, but can is it possible to have the file names retain these spaces?

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: html file names
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2009, 9:55am

Not at present; we judged that the potential for confusion with server issues exceeded the advantage of retaining spaces in file names.

This might be a decision worth revisiting; when we originally made it, only the most technical of technical people understood urls like http://example.com/a%20space.html , and the %20 would frighten the children.  Nowadays, perhaps everyone is comfortable with this.

WWW   IP Logged
AsafKeller

Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2009, 9:10am

Is there, then, an action/macro I can use to replace all the spaces in my existing notes titles with something like an underscore?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2009, 10:18am

If you want to change all the $Name values inside your TBX, you be best off using the command line via runCommand() and something like the  'tr' utlity.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
AsafKeller

Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2009, 10:56am

Thanks. Unfortunately, I have little or no idea what you wrote. Any help would be much appreciated!

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Dec 14th, 2009, 11:18am

Try this on a test file first - there's no undo for this sort of thing!

Create an agent:
Query: Name( )    <-- N.B. a space character between the ()
Action: $Name=runCommand("echo "+$Name+"| tr ' ' '_'");

The agent will find all notes with one or more spaces in the title ($Name).  The 'tr' command line utility translates all spaces (or sequences of spaces) into a single underscore - i.e. two spaces in a row become a single underscore.

So a note named "This note name has    spaces" will match the agent, get renamed "This_note_name_has_spaces" and no longer match the agent so the actual command line is only run one on each note needing rename.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
AsafKeller

Reply #6 - Dec 14th, 2009, 1:53pm

Brilliant; thanks much!

IP Logged
Pages: 1