Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Last Accessed Attribute? (Read 6067 times)
Michael Fremont

Last Accessed Attribute?
Sep 21st, 2009, 9:38pm

I'd like to make an agent that displays my most accessed notes, in order by popularity.  This would serve as a tickler and also fast access to these notes, without having to remember their names, do a search, or navigate around.

I see there is a ReadCount attribute, that's great.  But I also want to filter out notes that USED to be very popular but haven't been accessed in a while.  For this it would seem I need something like a  LastAccessed attribute.  I can't find anything like that in the ATBRef.  Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Mike

IP Logged
Michael Fremont

Re: Last Accessed Attribute?
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2009, 11:32pm

I solved my own problem, but it's a kluge.

I made a 2 new user attributes:

LastAccessed
ExaminedCount, default value 0.  

Then I wrote this action:

query: $ExaminedCount<$ReadCount
action: $ExaminedCount=$ReadCount;$LastAccessed=today;

This solves the problem, in a klugy sort of way, but has the nice side-effect that I now have a script idiom (onOpen, so-to-speak) that runs every time a note is opened... which I'm sure I'll find very useful in other ways.

Best,

Mike

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2009, 4:53am

You are right, there is no 'LastAccessed' property. It's worth noting too, that $Modified is updated only by changes to $Text but not for changes to other aspects of a note. I've updated aTbRef today to clarify that latter point.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2009, 9:37am

As you noticed, though there isn't a LastAccessed attribute, there is $ReadCount, a count of the number of times the note's text window has been opened.  

In some ways, ReadCount might be a superior measure of which notes are your most accessed.

WWW   IP Logged
Paul Walters
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2009, 11:56am

You might also find some inspiration with what Loryn Jenkins did with Tinderbox to display most recently modified.  (Not exactly what you're looking for - but related.)  Loryn's  explanation is here in his blog.

« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2009, 11:57am by Paul Walters »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Sep 22nd, 2009, 12:43pm

The limitiation - in context of the OP's problem - is unless changes occur to the $Text of a note, and only the text, $Modified is unaffected. In very simply use this may work but if the chnages are occurring in user attributes, for example, then the problem is harder.

Likewise the problem with $ReadCount alone is when the reads occurred.  Two notes may have similar ReadCount but one might have been read mostly last year whilst the other was read this month. Differentiation requires some ability to add a date filter - the possibilities for which are discussed in this thread in the 'off-the-wall' section.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Michael Fremont

Reply #6 - Sep 22nd, 2009, 5:54pm

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses.  I'm especially intrigued by the Noguchi filing system, and am going to try it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print