Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Learning to export (Read 7858 times)
Andrew Saffer

Learning to export
Sep 23rd, 2009, 9:36pm

Both the Marks know that I am export-ically challenged.

If I want to learn how to export outlines and notes from the beginning, assuming no prior knowledge of HTML or coding at all, how would I best learn how to do this?

At my export-newbie level, the wiki and The Tinderbox Way and other's templates are just a little too hard.

And is the export process likely to change in Tinderbox 5?

Thanks, Andrew

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Learning to export
Reply #1 - Sep 24th, 2009, 9:36am

The best way I know for the export-challenged to learn how to export from Tinderbox to nearly *anything* is a two-step curriculum:
  • learn the rudiments of HTML; this should take no more than an afternoon or two.
  • come to Tinderbox weekend and get me to go through my "90 minutes of export" demo, in which I start with the simplest of HTML pages and work, step by step, up to an unreasonably complicated web site.

The next Tinderbox Weekend http://www.eastgate.com/Tinderbox/TbxWeekend.html is Nov 21-22, 2009, in San Francisco.

Of course, it's a bit of a trek for Andrew Sasser, who lives in Australia.  But it's a small world.  (We do have some hope of a Tinderbox event or two in Australia or New Zealand in 2010....)

Export won't change greatly in Tinderbox 5.

« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2009, 9:53am by Mark Bernstein »  
WWW   IP Logged
Andrew Saffer

Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2009, 4:06pm

Hi Mark,

That's a good answer.

Though I will say that a better answer would be one that costs less than $2000, or will solve the problem before 2010...  Wink

Thanks, Andrew

« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2009, 4:08pm by Andrew Saffer »  
  IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #3 - Sep 24th, 2009, 6:57pm

OK: let's work on the better answer!

My next suggestion: make a very simple template note.  Say

^title
    ***** this is my title ******

Make another note; open its HTML view, and choose your template from the Template popup menu.  

At this point, you should see an exported HTML fragment that's short, simple, and that you understand.  Are you with us to this point?

WWW   IP Logged
Andrew Saffer

Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2009, 7:47pm

Thanks, Mark.

I did that, and it was successful. I even added some text to the note, and exported that with a ^text tag too! I'm addicted.

To infinity, and beyond!

What next? I need another hit...

Andrew

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Sep 25th, 2009, 7:30am

To your test note add a child, grandchild, etc. - go down a few levels. Next duplicate your template and call the copy 'recursion'; I'll assume the templates are in the root of your TBX - i.e. at outline level 1.

Now, open the  'recursion' template and change the text to:
^title^
^children("recursion")^
*** end of ^title^ content ****

now go to your original test note, open HTML view and select the 'recursion' template. For A note structure like:
Ant
  Bee
     Cow
        Dog
           Eel

I get HTML output like:
Ant
Bee
Cow
Dog
Eel

*** end of Eel content ****
*** end of Dog content ****
*** end of Cow content ****
*** end of Bee content ****
*** end of Ant content ****

The trick here is we're using one template which keeps re-using itself. Notice how the content is nested like a Russian doll. Normally in this sort of use, you'd not include the 'end of' bit in a recursing template but I put it in to help visualise the process.

This is that same method I used on your export problem in the spring.  Now you've done these simple exercises, for a follow-up lesson take a look at the TBX you use for your lecture notes and compare the templates there with the examples above and see how the TBX's finished templates use the concept you just tried above.

Export is a very open-ended topic, but probably falls into a few main avenues of exploration:
- each note exports itself (like most aTbRef content)
- notes export self and descendants - like above
- notes include the contents of other notes from elsewhere in the TB file (look up the ^include()^ method).
Where you're exporting multiple notes/pages, then you'll need to consider adding navigation code to your template (e.g. how to we move around the HTML output).

Another area to dig into is the export format.  By default HTML is set to export HTML pages, but they can as easily be plain text or a tab-delimited

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Stacey Mason

Eastgate Systems, Inc
Reply #6 - Sep 25th, 2009, 1:29pm

I'm also new to Tinderbox exporting, so this thread is quite useful for me!   How would I use the ^include() method that Mark Anderson mentions?

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Winnick

Reply #7 - Sep 25th, 2009, 2:14pm

I am a lawyer who is also a newbie at learning HTML and exporting it from Tinderbox.  I am presently in the process of developing a comprehensive legal case management application built on the Tinderbox platform called "Summary Judgment" TM.  
  HTML coding is being used to create forms templates which will automatically assemble pleadings, motions, etc. using boilerplate text sections for e.g., the case caption, signature block, certificate of service, etc., leaving the body text to be drafted by the attorney and/or copied & pasted from forms furnished in the Summary Judgment program.
  Coincidentally, Mark Bernstein, the major domo and guru of Tinderbox, shares office space with me at Eastgate's home (a renovated historic colonial building dating back to 1785 located at 134 Main Street, Watertown, MA); and as a courtesy he is supporting my development efforts with personal mentoring and tutoring as his time permits.  
  Having said that, I share your pain at trying to master these technical skills and will be glad to share my own learning tips and skills on this forum as they are acquired.

Steve Winnick
 winvictus@winnlaw.com

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Learning to export: ^include()
Reply #8 - Sep 25th, 2009, 3:29pm

Let's say you have some next that might need to be included at various places -- a signature block, say, or the heading of a Certificate of Service.  

You could just type the material wherever you need it.

Or, you put that material in its own note -- say a note called Signature.  Whenever you want to include that note, you can just say

^include(Signature)

This will export the Signature note -- using its own export template.  So Signature could include other notes!

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print