Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Teaching: Lecture Notes (Read 11838 times)
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Teaching: Lecture Notes
Oct 03rd, 2009, 12:53pm

Some readers have asked from examples of lectures notes and presentations, and other Tinderbox teaching documents.  Here are some screen shots from my own notes on a conference.
Please share your own ideas for notes and presentations!

I made the notes below during a discussion of "Creative Hypertext Nonfiction" led by George P. Landow at eNarrative 6 in 2006.

For a bigger view, try here: http://markBernstein.org/elements/eN6NotesBig.jpg

These are notes I made during the discussion, for my own use, but I've also used maps like this for presentations; indeed, there's an adornment just about this one that contains my introductory remarks for the meeting.

You'll notice that Professor Landow's main points (as I understood them) appear as coral-colored notes.  Blue-green notes represent works to which he referred, orange notes are my own questions or objections.  Golden notes reflect themes that emerged from the discussion, or that came up again in later talks. (All these visual properties are inherited from a handful of prototypes)

A later talk, but Diane Greco, explored issues of craft in electronic narrative.  Where Landow's talk was organized around themes and issues, you can see at a glance how Greco focused on aspects of specific work.

Again, the notes on the session (of which this screen shot represents only a fraction) rest on a session-specific adornment. Here's the big picture:

WWW   IP Logged
Paul Walters
Ex Member

Re: Teaching: Lecture Notes
Reply #1 - Oct 4th, 2009, 7:30am

This is a great approach.  So, if you wanted to move your work process along - eventually going from this map to a narrative or precis of the lecture (say, for inclusion in a personal journal) - what would you do?  How to get the notes into a top-to-bottom structure without breaking up the map?

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #2 - Oct 4th, 2009, 9:00am

Much depends on the scale of the projected writing.

If I'm planning a short piece -- a trip report, perhaps, or a Web essay -- my concern will be selecting themes and highlights I want to cover.  This might most easily be done in situ, perhaps by adding badges or borders to key notes.  Then, I might thread those notes together with links, and either export them or simply open up Keynote or my text editor and start writing.

If I'm planning a longer work -- a book, a dissertation, a complex essay -- I might open a new document entirely.  I'll sketch out a framework I envision, and then copy notes from the map into the framework.  My first concern at this stage, typically, is identifying gaps in the research.

Occasionally, I might duplicate the document and, using the copy, experiment with a wholesale reorganization of the map along new lines.  I'd do this if I were considering an unusual new organization and I wanted to sketch it quickly to see if it made sense. If I wanted to remain in the original document, I might make lots of aliases of notes in the map, and drag those aliases into a new container where I'd build the new, experimental map.

WWW   IP Logged
Patrick Lynch

Hawthorne CA
Reply #3 - Oct 6th, 2009, 3:58pm

IP Logged
greg ibendahl

Reply #4 - Oct 6th, 2009, 6:02pm

I'm using Tinderbox for the nuts and bolts management of teaching a class. I tend to use the explorer view almost exclusively for this project. The explorer view allows me to see the outline of the class along with the notes for each day. I have an outline with each day as a note and then notes for quizzes and homework assignments. A tinderbox outline has an astonishing ability to show visual clues about a project. Mark gives us two for free with the color swatch and badge icon. I use the color swatch to show a quiz was given that day and the badge icon to show a homework is due. I just set up a user attribute to turn on either the color swatch or the badge icon.

Another method of showing information in the outline is through the use of the display expression. I use this to show when a homework exercise was assigned. In my note rule, I have this  

if (links.outbound.Assignment.Name) {LinkOutInd =" <> "} else {LinkOutInd = ""};

Then in my display expression, I amend $LinkOutInd to the end. Thus whenever I make a link to a homework assignment and make sure my link type is "Assignment", I get the <> added to my note name.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print