Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Romero File (Tinderbox Tutorial) (Read 10938 times)
Stacey Mason

Eastgate Systems, Inc
The Romero File (Tinderbox Tutorial)
Oct 26th, 2009, 4:05pm

We've started a new tutorial segment called The Romero File. The case will hopefully be helpful to new users, but will also have pointers for more advanced users as well.

Episode 0: The Pitch Meeting
http://www.eastgate.com/Tinderbox/Tutorials/Maps/ThePitchMeeting.html

We want to hear your reactions, as well as comments on different approaches and solutions! Feel free to post your comments here or email us!

We'll be publishing new episodes periodically leading up to Tinderbox weekend
http://www.eastgate.com/Tinderbox/TbxWeekend.html

« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2009, 4:08pm by Stacey Mason »  
WWW   IP Logged
Steven Watson

Re: The Romero File (Tinderbox Tutorial)
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2009, 12:28pm

I'm an attorney and new to Tinderbox and committed to experimenting with how I can use TB to help me organize and conceptualize cases as they evolve.  As I started to work on the Romero case, I would want to (1) link either to legal websites or to PDFs for the dram shop statute and relevant case law; (2) link to the applicable criminal statutes; (3) link to the civil and criminal jury instructions; (4) create an evidence map that links witnesses and cases supporting their testimony with the appropriate elements of the crime or civil claim, etc.  The list could go on and on.

I'm ready to explore how to do all that because software that can accommodate the gestalt of an evolving litigation file or an evolving appellate brief is something I can actually get excited about.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2009, 2:55pm

Much of this is coming up in the Romero tutorial!  

(You might drop the website bookmarks into your map for starters, and like those pdf's to notes using the File button)

But poor Dan Hosmer has only had the case, at this point, for a few hours -- and almost all of that time he's been talking to the clients and the police.

I'm assuming -- perhaps incorrectly -- that Hosmer would feel sufficiently familiar with the fairly-common issues posed by this traffic accident to undertake these first interviews without reviewing statutes and case law. But of course that's coming Smiley

We'd love your comments and suggestions about different ways to do things!

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2009, 6:42pm

Whilst there's generally a lot of law, its not infinite.  Consider having notes that link to major references (files, URLs, etc.). Or, you could make them prototypes allowing you to have a copy in each 'case'. The later means that if case law or references change you can edit one prototype rather than lots of per case notes.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Steve Winnick

Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2009, 8:44am

I am a lawyer who has developed a comprehensive legal case management application built on the Tinderbox platform, called "Summary Judgment" TM. Its functionality includes forms and templates for virtually every activity a lawyer records or performs daily from case intake through trial and appeal, including document assembly and generation of pleadings, motions and correspondence using editable forms incorporating boilerplate sections; and easy to use and understand time & billing features to keep track of billable work, expenses, etc., and invoice the same.   Critical tasks and dates (e.g., statutes of limitations, TO DO's, case management deadlines, etc.) are tied to an effective system of tickler alerts with multiple warnings.  And significantly, it makes use of Tinderbox's powerful search, sort & presentation (e.g., mind-mapping) features for case analysis and decision-making.
     Coincidentally, Mark Bernstein, the major domo and guru of Tinderbox, shares office space with me at Eastgate's home (a renovated historic colonial building dating back to 1785 located at 134 Main Street, Watertown, MA); and he and his able assistant, Stacey Mason, are supporting my development efforts with personal mentoring and tutoring.  

Re: the Romero Case Series - I will be offering my own blog series to coincide with Mark's, to show how Summary Judgment and Tinderbox can be used for case management of the Romero case fact pattern, including use of the mind-mapping features of Tinderbox for case analysis and decision-making.  I expect to offer the first posts begining tomorrow.  Look for the blog link on this forum.

Steve Winnick
 winvictus@winnlaw.com
 Winnick & Sullivan LLP
 134 Main Street
 Watertown, MA 02472
 (617) 926-9200
 FAX (617) 923-4575

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #5 - Nov 2nd, 2009, 4:29pm

Steve Winnick's new blog -- with commentary on the Romero File tutorial -- is here: http://winvictus.wordpress.com/.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #6 - Nov 5th, 2009, 6:28pm

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print