Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What is the extent of content in a weblog post? (Read 7337 times)
Richard Bullen

What is the extent of content in a weblog post?
Nov 26th, 2009, 1:07am

When posting to a weblog I assume that you can only post one note and that there is no method, within Tinderbox, to assemble notes into one posting - as you would with an html page using templates.

Is my understanding correct or is there some method of assembling notes for 'direct' posting?

Thanks
RB

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: What is the extent of content in a weblog post?
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2009, 6:04am

Currently, the "post to weblog" function simply funnels text to a weblog (or, more generally, to any server that uses the metaweblog API).

In the future, we plan (a) to extend this to Atom, and (b) to apply export templates before exporting.  This will give you complete generality in assembling a weblog post from multiple notes.

But: you can do this today with a little work.  Use HTML export to assemble the note, using ^include and ^children as you like.  Then, use a script (or HTMLExportCommand) and curl to post the exported file.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2009, 6:09am

A further note: if you're going to assemble a post from many notes, and you're also working with attributes for tags and the like, you might ask yourself whether you're getting much (or anything) from using a weblog engine rather than simply exporting the site straight from Tinderbox.

http://HTLit.com, for example, is a weblog-like site that's made in Tinderbox.

WWW   IP Logged
Johnnie Wilcox - mistersquid

San Francisco, CA
Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2009, 10:40am

In the future, we plan (a) to extend this to Atom, and (b) to apply export templates before exporting.

I would really like the application of export templates before exporting. Thanks for thinking of this. Also, OT, it was great meeting you and the other TBX folks last Sunday.

IP Logged
Richard Bullen

Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2009, 11:10am

Quote:
A further note: if you're going to assemble a post from many notes, and you're also working with attributes for tags and the like, you might ask yourself whether you're getting much (or anything) from using a weblog engine rather than simply exporting the site straight from Tinderbox.

Hi Mark:

Thanks for the thought

Your site http://htlit.com/ is the similar to the type of configuration that I'm trying to build.
I decided on using a CMS (Expression Engine) so that I could reuse content as required.

Currently I'm working on using Tinderbox for two purposes:
  • Provide a model of the site so that I've a map of how everything fits together.
  • Act as the writing tool for producing new content.

In the existing paradigm I'm trying to understand how efficiently I can move content from Tinderbox to Expression Engine .

However, you make a good point that it might be possible to create the whole site in Tinderbox. I'll give that some more thought. (Note: I originally dismissed the idea of only using Tinderbox as my concept seemed too complex to implement in Tinderbox, which is say that I don't know that my programing skills are up to the job. Using a CMS and its tagging system seems to reduce the risk of continuing technical problems caused by poor programing.)

Can you point me to any existing tutorial/educational/help information regarding using Tinderbox as a CMS?

Thanks.

IP Logged
Richard Bullen

Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2009, 11:36am

@ Mark B
Quote:
Then, use a script (or HTMLExportCommand) and curl to post the exported file.

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't have the knowledge for that approach.

I'll settle for the fact that I can just funnel the text to Expression Engine .

Thanks

RB

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2009, 1:26pm

For those tempted to try, HTMLExportCommand allows you to apply a program or script to each exported HTML file. If HTMLExportCommand is empty, no special action is performed.

Otherwise, the exported file is piped to the standard input of the command line in HTMLExportCommand, and the file is replaced by command line's standard output. In other words, any action carried out by the linked command is carried out on the exported page after the normal page export.

Thus, if your command used curl to upload stdin (i.e. the output from the export template) the result would be a file on your server - or content in your CMS - rather than a file on your hard drive.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Richard Bullen

Reply #7 - Nov 27th, 2009, 11:10am

Hi Mark A:

Thanks for the additonal information.

Would you add a little more detail, when you use the term program
Quote:
For those tempted to try, HTMLExportCommand allows you to apply a program or script to each exported HTML file. If HTMLExportCommand is empty, no special action is performed.

What type of program are you referring to? I think of the term 'program' to apply to something like Dreamweaver or SEEdit Maxi. Is this what you mean or are you referring to a set of instructions?

Thanks.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #8 - Nov 27th, 2009, 12:10pm

Hmm, brain failure, I should have written "...unix command line or shell script...".

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print