Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How To Set The Export Preview Browser? (Read 4405 times)
Richard Bullen

How To Set The Export Preview Browser?
Dec 08th, 2009, 12:58am

I had the document preferences set to FF.

Changed the doc preference to Safari and the preview still opened in FF.
Changed the app preferences in the edit menu to Safari and the preview still opened in FF.
Went to the preferences in the application menu to verify that it was set to Safari.
Still opened in FF.

repeated the process ensuring that update buttons were clicked and changes saved and the note still opened in FF.

Went to another note and previewed it - it opened in Safari.

What am I missing that I can't change the preview browser for this one note?

Thanks.

RB

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: How To Set The Export Preview Browser?
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2009, 3:48am

My hunch is you are on Snow Leopard? If I recall the mechanism described sets the 'creator' string for the file created by TB. Creator strings are how Macs - prior to OS 10.6 - could have different files of the same extension/type open in different apps. From OS 10.6, files' creator values are now ignored. All files of a given file extension use the app associated with that extension. Why Apple changed this, I've no idea. It may make things easier for Windows switchers but it would appear to have confused a lot of long term Mac users.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Richard Bullen

Reply #2 - Dec 10th, 2009, 12:51am

Thanks for the response but I'm still on 10.5.8 so the I assume the OS is not the cause of the problem.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Dec 10th, 2009, 4:27am

What are the type/creator strings in the working and non-working example pages?  Here are some examples working for me on 10.5.8 with v4.7.1:

TEXT / MOZB -> Firefox
TEXT / sfri -> Safari
TEXT / R*ch -> BBEdit
TEXT / ttxt -> TextEdit

Tinderbox is setting those helper strings correctly and the OS is responding correctly.

What file extension (if any are you using). This shouldn't matter but should also be considered. If the OS can't find or can't understand the type/creator string, it defaults to an OS-wide mapping of file extension to a single app. It might be, for example, that on your system '.htm' and '.html' files are allocated to different browsers.

The odd thing is that the helper setting (that sets the creator/type string) is the same fro all notes in a TBX - it can't be set at a more granular level. That is why I wonder if the exported files' extension is in play.  The latter can be set per-note. So, it is possible for a single note to be exporting with a different file extension to the doc-level preference and that difference mightaffect how the file is handled by the OS.

If the problem affects one and only one note you might want to take this up directly with tech support as they might need to look at your TBX's data file.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #4 - Dec 10th, 2009, 10:29am

If you change the document preference (say) from Safari to Firefox, but continue to use the old HTML file, MacOS X 10.5 will continue to associate the file with Safari -- after all, that's what you've 'always' used!  

Just delete the file, or export to a fresh folder.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print