Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Google search of  aTbRef v. 5.0? (Read 8926 times)
maurice

London, UK
Google search of  aTbRef v. 5.0?
Dec 13th, 2009, 6:19am

Mark

I haven't been able to get the Google search function working for  aTbRef v 5 and I don't seem to be able to search the v5 ref externally from google.com either - I wonder if the pages have been made available for indexing?

« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2009, 6:20am by maurice »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Google search of  aTbRef v. 5.0?
Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2009, 8:12am

They should be - indeed the site was silently pre-published to facilitate that. I guess Google's just slow on the update.  There's certainly no robots.txt file or the like placing anything at acrobatfaq off limits.

What canlt you find?  There is a ton of cross-linking within articles and as sensible a top-level topic split as such a multi-faceted app allows.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
maurice

London, UK
Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2009, 9:35am

Searching just doesn't work for me at all. If I start on the index page (http://www.acrobatfaq.com/atbref5/index.html) and enter basic terms such as "agents" or "attributes" no results are found or at best I get a single result pointing to the index page itself.

If I do the identical search from the index page for the v 4.7.1 version I get multiple results...

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2009, 9:45am

Um yes, that's because Google - over which I have no control - has indexed the atbref46 sub-site. Then again the latter's been around a while. I don't believe there's any way to force Google to index content.

I ask again, what is it you can't find? I might be able to point you in the right direction.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
maurice

London, UK
Reply #4 - Dec 13th, 2009, 9:51am

Thanks Mark, I was looking for "columns".  I found the material in the TBX version, so I can get stuff that way, but I like the screenshots. So far I haven't figured out how to locate the right page in the html version from its location in the TBX outline...

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Dec 13th, 2009, 11:15am

The article on columns is here. The hierarchy is:
A Tinderbox Reference File : Misc. User Interface Aspects : Outline view interface : Displaying Column Data

The TBX export is pretty true to the oultine there are only a couple of includes.  As this grabs are >7MB I don't include them. Any note excluding with a grab will use one of these templates: 'basic_grabs' or 'basic_menu_bars'. Make an agent to check HTMLExportTemplate for such values.  Then in the items found, interrogate the $URL filed which will point to the grab as an absolute URL.  I hope that helps.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
maurice

London, UK
Reply #6 - Dec 13th, 2009, 12:13pm

Thanks Mark - very helpful.

IP Logged
Paul Walters
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 14th, 2009, 5:41am

You can confirm when Google has indexed a site using this little test.  On a regular Google search page enter this search:

columns site:www.acrobatfaq.com/atbref5

Google finds nothing.

If the search is

columns site:www.acrobatfaq.com/atbref46

It finds hits from an older version of Mark's work.  V5 has not been indexed.  As Mark said, it just takes time.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print