Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Should I export or copy-paste? (Read 3362 times)
Peter Sass

Should I export or copy-paste?
Jan 20th, 2010, 9:33pm

This is a rather loose question about stragegy. I have made a big sprawling document about a subjekt that I am trying to get a grip on, physics and cemistry  (I am studying to become a teacher of physics in elementary school). I haven’t thought about how to get anything printed, but hoped it was possible. I would like to know what the chances are. If I want to get somethint usefull exported, does the document have to be made with that in mind, or is it possible to say: “I have this big sprawling document whith notes about physics and I want to draw out what I want to say about electricity” ? I have a dozen prototypes and a lot of sets  and links wich are interesting to investigate in the document, one set-tag is electricity, but if I want to get something printed, is it better to just copy and paste, than to try anything fancy with export? Oh and what doesn’t make it easier is that I use Mellel, who doesn’t understand html, but only rtf, opml or txt.
I am on trembling legs with exporting and what I have achived so far has been very simple stuff with exporting strictly in mind. Is the loose aproach at all feasible?
Any thoughts would be most welcome.
Peter Sass

IP Logged
Ioa Petra-ka

Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Should I export or copy-paste?
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2010, 10:03pm

You might try playing with the Nakakoji view a bit in "title and text" template mode. You can examine link structures as well as a note and all its contents, or just the entire document. If you need finer control, you can create a simple template containing the detail you need. The nice thing about this view is that it allows for a few quick and powerful inclusion options that would otherwise be difficult to set up using the HTML exporter.

But if all else fails, keep in mind you can use the HTML exporter for nearly whatever you like. The built-in templates all create web pages, but what the file ends up looking like is merely what the template tells it to look like. You could even, with a good understanding of RTF, create RTFs with it. I've done so in the past.

Av
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Should I export or copy-paste?
Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2010, 2:09am

Peter, it's not really a yes/no. I'd agree with Amber's comments and add a few more observations.  Agents and aliases can help reassemble content from across your document into a form more easily exported. Part of Tinderbox's power is avoiding premature formalisation, it certainly doesn't expect you to fit your content to a certain structure before you can gain benefit from it.

If you find you're needing need to extract individual paragraphs or sentences from notes to achieve your 'export', then you should consider making your notes smaller so you can find/export more discrete chunks.

There are two scenarios where export needs may sensibly affect TBX structure. A heavily interlinked HTML export - like aTbRef is a case in point. Currently links between TBX notes are lost on HTML export is the target of the note is a 'include' to another page - i.e. not a discrete HTML page of it's own. Thus the aTbRef TBX has many small notes exporting many small pages. The other context is where you want to export hierarchies of notes. To do that you need a hierarchy and aliases can act as containers so you need to arrange the actual notes accordingly.

Beyond that, just go try - and come here when you get stuck. If your context is complex or hard to describe, consider making a small TBX as a demo model. Sometimes even the act of doing that - in order to show others - actual gives clues as to the solution. don't be afraid to experiment with export - the worst you'll get is unexpected output, you won't break anything.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print