Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
is there no way to activate Smart Quotes? (Read 4441 times)
Demogorgon

is there no way to activate Smart Quotes?
Jan 27th, 2010, 4:36am

On most Mac apps, there is either (1) a smart quote option in the Preferences, or (2) a contextual menu that pops-up in any text field, wherein you select Substitutions/Smart Quotes.  Tinderbox has (as far as I can tell) NEITHER OF THESE.  Surely, this cannot be an oversight.  Surely, I must be missing something.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: is there no way to activate Smart Quotes?
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2010, 5:55am

No there's no such option and it's not an over-sight. As a textual database/analysis/weblog tool iTB has not had a need for rich text editing - it's not a word processor. I don't think the absence is any antipathy to typographic style quotes - TB's author has self-evident literary interests - it simply a by-product of TB's evolution. So at this point the functions you mentioned - to coerce straight (dumb) quotes to typographic (curly/smart) quotes  - would be a feature request; do write in to Eastgate as suggest it.

As many TB users are either non-English speakers or keeping notes in other languages, the task is a little more complex as the smart/curly quote form varies by language. It the same with sorting when accents get thrown in. If your idea is adopted, it might need a preference to allow users to set their language's (or simply choice) of opening/closing single/double smart quote characters.

Also, if the feature is taken up, I'd ask that action code/export had features to return quotes to 'dumb' form for text formats/encodings that don't support smart quotes.

[Please avoid 'shouting' in all-caps - it makes your comments harder to read and thus less clear. This is a small, friendly forum, no shouting is needed to be heard. Smiley]

« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2010, 6:00am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2010, 9:46am

Of course, you can easily use typographic quotes directly from your keyboard: opt-[ / opt-shift--[ for double quotes, and opt-] / opt-shift-] for single quotes.

Similarly, opt-dash for n-dashes and opt-shift-dash for m-dashes.  (All these are US keyboard; other keyboard have their own shortcuts).

WWW   IP Logged
Demogorgon

Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2010, 1:47am

Mark A.: TBX may not be a word processor, but it's *all* about text: manipulating, arranging, linking, and *exporting*.  To say that curly quotes are dangerous is as silly as saying that Unicode is dangerous.  It is certain that TBX customers will have something beyond ASCII in their exported HTML.  Since TBX "is not a word processor," why not force customers to determine font face and style via the html exporting templates?  Who needs all that over-the-top bold and italics styling info *inside* their notes?  Come on.

Mark B.: Thanks for being on-point.  I know about the three-key method for directly entering curly quotes.  I hate it with a passion.  Mark A. suggested that, really, people don't enter word-processor-grade text into TBX directly, but only use it for other things.  This is false.  If you added a curly quotes feature, I am sure that a lot of PhD students, like myself, and other curly-quote-dependent people would be very grateful.

Now, from the appearance of the interface, it seems that TBX is not Cocoa compliant.  Still, even if you cannot access the "free" Cocoa contextual pop-ups that grace all text fields (the one with Font, Spelling, Substitutions, etc.), it would be a courteous snap to add one in the general (or doc) preference dialogs.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2010, 2:22pm

a) There is no such thing as "cocoa compliant", but you are correct in that Tinderbox 5 uses Carbon, not Cocoa.

b) Please don't shout at Mark Anderson; he's a fellow user, a very experienced Tinderbox user, and speaks for himself. I myself think you read more into his opinion than is entirely warranted.

c) Have you considered telling Apple that you hate their approach to typographic quotes with a passion?  Just saying...

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print