Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Exporting a syllabus to an html table (Read 5635 times)
Patrick Lynch

Hawthorne CA
Exporting a syllabus to an html table
Feb 1st, 2010, 1:07pm

[Admin note - I've split this as this a new question albeit about HTML export and tables.]

Sorry if this is a basic question. I want to export a series of notes to make a syllabus. Basically, there's the Note name and the contents (including "carriage returns." Do I merely use this example with the name export alone or do I need to create an attribute for contents?
Thanks,
Patrick

« Last Edit: Feb 01st, 2010, 1:50pm by Mark Bernstein »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Exporting to an html table
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2010, 1:17pm

Please post a sample of your TBX content for clarification. Is the data in $Text or in $Attributes?

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Patrick Lynch

Hawthorne CA
Re: Exporting a syllabus to an html table
Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2010, 1:34am

Sure, Mark. Here is a map view and an outline view for consideration. I also have an image of what one note looks like.
Patrick
http://lighthouse.mhs-la.org/plynch/images/image1tbx.png
http://lighthouse.mhs-la.org/plynch/images/image3tbx.png
http://lighthouse.mhs-la.org/plynch/images/image5tbx.png

« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2010, 1:36am by Patrick Lynch »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2010, 5:03am

Thanks that clarifies the source data side.  On the output side, is the map view (grab #1) effectively the grid you want. IOW, each column is a working day of the week (Mon-Fri) and each row is a week, within that each lesson is a table cell with the $Name as a heading and the $Text as the general cell contents. Like this?

If so, here's a specimen TBX used to make the above.  There's limited styling there. Although I've not used CSS - for speed here - I have build in a note that will export as your pages CSS if you want to go that route.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2010, 5:31am

For clarification, the TBX posted above is very simple. If I were doing this for real, I'd make far more use of attributes. For instance, if the period number were in an attribute, these could self-colour and also be used to seed style for the different periods.

The lessons (Patrick's grab #1) seem to have a constant set of headings so I'd make my lesson prototype note have these in it's text so I just had to fill in the detail. For holidays/gaps you'd use a different prototype - or none at all.

The template uses modulo maths to work out where the table rows grow.  Thus it assumes child note #1 is a Monday and all working days are included, up to the last needed day. If your timetable were more stretched out it might need a different approach.

For later reader, note the use of the envelope-letter technique. But what if the container 'AP Literature' was already exported as a page to HTML? No problem, make an agent for query 'inside(AP Literature') and ensure the contents sort as for the target container. Make a string attribute MyTitle and set its value to the name of the target container.  In the Table-Page template, change ^title^ for ^get(MyTitle)^. Then, set the agent's export template to '/Templates/Table-Page' and export!

See the download-able version of the aTbRef TBX and look at how its site map is exported for another variation of the envelope-letter approach that uses a note rather than an agent to seed the process.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Patrick Lynch

Hawthorne CA
Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2010, 2:28am

Much thanks for all the explanations and the files. Mark, you are amazing.
Patrick

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print