Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Where am I ? (in a map or in an outline) (Read 3792 times)
Rigas Arvanitis

Paris (France)
Where am I ? (in a map or in an outline)
Feb 2nd, 2010, 9:22am

I can "Locate" a note, I can "Find" a note. Tinderbox nicely opens the found note in edit mode. But where is the note located on a map or in an outline?

The solution I found is to open a New Map View or New Outline View. In the Outline View I have to "dehoist" up one level to see where is the note in its environment.

Is there an easier way to locate a note within its environment?

« Last Edit: Feb 02nd, 2010, 9:23am by Rigas Arvanitis »  

Rigas Arvanitis
WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Where am I ? (in a map or in an outline)
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2010, 9:51am

There's a bit of contextual information missing here. If I use either Find or Locate and open a new view (Map, Outline, etc.) the view opens in the context of the selected notes parent, with the note in question selected and scrolled into view. Very occasionally, I have seen an instance where the scroll-into-view part doesn't happen and I think this occurs if the that view is already open, albeit showing elsewhere on the view.

You don't say it but it may be that what you're actually after is the full path to the note. This is always shown in the note's text window sidebar, below the attributes. You can find the same info in the $Path attribute (from the General group of system attributes. You can add Path to a note's KeyAttributes and also view it from the note's Info view ([Cmd]+[Opt]+[i]). From views like Locate you can use the above shortcut or pick 'Get Info' from the context menu.

If this doesn't answer your question, please clarify the context from which your started (even a screen grab of your current TB windows might help). With TB there are often several ways to the task. The 'right' one often depends on your context/workflow which varies from person to person.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Rigas Arvanitis

Paris (France)
Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2010, 10:08am

Quote:
If I use either Find or Locate and open a new view (Map, Outline, etc.) the view opens in the context of the selected notes parent, with the note in question selected and scrolled into view. Very occasionally, I have seen an instance where the scroll-into-view part doesn't happen and I think this occurs if the that view is already open, albeit showing elsewhere on the view.

If I open the outline after I have located a note, there is ony one line of the outline. I can go up, in the outine (dehoist) and then I see where this note is located.

I was just wondering if the locate or Find could just let me see at once where the note is located in the outline without having to open a new view>dehoist>look at the result  Smiley

Thanks for the tip on the $Path attribute !

Rigas Arvanitis
WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2010, 11:27am

Aha - Locate is the problem. Re testing in more detail Find and Locate are opening the Outline in different contexts. Whether by design or not, Locate opens the new outline focus on the note - no context; actually History, Roadmap and some others do this too. By comparison, Find gets it right - from a user perspective - as open on the parent of the selected note with the focussed note scrolled into view.

My (feature request for now) suggestion is all minor views focus as Find does for new view creation.  In the meantime if you use Find instead of locate you should be happier!

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print