Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Maps and Information Analysis and Presentation (Read 6305 times)
Stacey Mason

Eastgate Systems, Inc
Maps and Information Analysis and Presentation
Feb 08th, 2010, 10:59am

Here are some screenshots of a map I'm building while gathering information on literary criticism.

I used sources for my prototypes to be able to easily distinguish which material came from each source by color.  I also use some cloud notes for thoughts, questions, etc. and gray boxes for additional notes on the material.

I placed notes about similar or related topics together on the maps (with well-defined topics grouped on adornments).  The closer notes are together, the more relevant they are to one another.  I've used links to demonstrate extensions, examples, or distinctions of two ideas.

Using the map space this way with this particular prototype setup lets me see when two sources are discussing related material (perhaps strengthening or weakening the other's argument).  Understanding how the sources and arguments are related helps me better sort my own opinions and arguments.

This is also a good example of how Tinderbox maps can be great tools not only for information analysis, but for presentations.  This map conveys information well, and could be easily added to or moved around during a discussion.

Note also that I didn't do anything to particularly TRY to make the map visually interesting, it just turned out that way on its own. Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Maps and Information Analysis and Presentation
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2010, 11:52am

Nice!

I notice that all the notes drawn from a given source use the source as a prototype -- inheriting a distinctive color and appearance.  How did that work out for you?  

Have you thought about using adornments to automatically associate newly-made notes with their source?  Since (most) notes from a source seem clustered together, you could put an adornment behind them with an OnAdd action

Prototype="After Theory"

and so forth.  But perhaps this is gilding the lily!

WWW   IP Logged
Stacey Mason

Eastgate Systems, Inc
Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2010, 4:58pm

With this particular project, I liked having the source as a prototype for the distinct color and appearance because there were not too many different types of sources or things to which using color to convey information seemed better suited. I thought about simply linking material to the source, but I liked this method better because I was interested in how the sources might interact with one another (there turned out to be less interaction than I anticipated) and color and proximity seemed like a good way to demonstrate this dialogue.

I didn't consider adornments setting prototypes because I had an eye toward moving things around and intermingling the notes of different sources. However, since I went through one source at a time, adding notes as I went through it, I could have a prototype-setting adornment onto which I could "dump" all the notes from one source as you mention, before moving them around and deleting the adornment. It's a great suggestion, and definitely something I'll do in the future!

WWW   IP Logged
Stacey Mason

Eastgate Systems, Inc
Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2010, 5:57pm

I'm interested: does anyone else have maps they can share from presentations they've given or as tools for leading discussions?

I'd like to compare my thinking on this map.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print