Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Characters as notes or as adornments? (Read 5660 times)
Felix Dencker

Characters as notes or as adornments?
Feb 24th, 2010, 6:48am

I've been planning a big sci-fi story, which entails a lot of world building. There's places, characters, groups, and right now I'm in the early stage of transferring all notes to Tinderbox.

I really don't know if I should create characters for instance as notes or as adornments, maybe someone has some insight.

Notes are certainly easier to handle and can be connected to each other directly.
With adornments, the characteristics of the persons (or places, groups etc. for that matter) could be notes themselves, which would give a lot more freedom, like allowing to connect single aspects from different people or places with each other.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Characters as notes or as adornments?
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2010, 7:17am

Both.  For character 'X' have an adornment called 'X' on which X-related notes amy be placed. However, an adornment can't have links, can't be seen in views other than outline, has no $Text (or rather no text window) and can't be turned into a note.  IOW, if you use an adornment you're using a lot of features you want to use.  If you have a note 'X', it can link with other notes (e,g, items relating to X) and when you come to export,  it can act as a container for all the facets of X that you propose to record in other notes.

Bear in mind there's no single 'right' way, as the user's work style is part of the mix.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Felix Dencker

Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2010, 8:20am

Great. I didn't even think of exporting, and this also solves another problem I had.

So thanks a lot.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2010, 9:30am

No problem. Do ask as new dilemmas arise as I understand there are others using TB for writing project so I'm sure overcoming issue like this will be of interest to forum members.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2010, 9:42am

I agree with Mark Anderson.

You surely want characters to be primarily notes -- especially minor characters, who might come and go, and about whom you'll want to sketch quick memos for continuity.  But having some corresponding adornments is likely to be really handy for organizing a map.

As a bonus, a distinctive color for major characters could be echoed in adornments, providing a handy reminder that the red notes concern Henry....

WWW   IP Logged
Felix Dencker

Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2010, 10:06am

Having minor characters as notes without corresponding adornments seems sensible, especially since that can always be changed when the character becomes more important (or fleshed out).

I don't think I'll use different colors for different characters, though. Right now I'm using the notes' colors to distinguish between different types, i.e. characters, settings or groups. But I'm still very early in the project, so it'll be interesting to see if this changes.

IP Logged
Stacey Mason

Eastgate Systems, Inc
Reply #6 - Mar 3rd, 2010, 4:21pm

One approach might be to do colors for characters and shapes for different types.   I usually like to do it this way since shapes are more easily recognizable for me as things, whereas the same color represents continuity (in my mind anyway  Smiley ).

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print