Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Columns editing in Outline (Read 8397 times)
Arthur Magnusson

Columns editing in Outline
Mar 06th, 2010, 1:25pm

Hi,

when editing in line in outline mode, pressing Tab jumps to the following note. Yet, when columns are activated, it would be useful to have a shortcut to jump to edit the columns, maybe something like ctrl+right to get the next column of the same note

IP Logged
maurice

London, UK
Re: Columns editing in Outline
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2010, 5:08pm

Can you actually edit the Columns in Outline view?

IP Logged
Arthur Magnusson

Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2010, 5:55pm

Yes, by clicking and holding (for about 2-3 seconds).

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2010, 6:17pm

At present, the press-and-hold trigger time for edit-in-place (if on) is the same as the time for finder to trigger an icon rename. In column view the caption placed in edit mode it the one under the cursor during click-and-hold.

« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2010, 6:18pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
maurice

London, UK
Reply #4 - Mar 6th, 2010, 6:50pm

Thanks!

IP Logged
Lucas D

Reply #5 - May 18th, 2011, 11:33pm

+1 --- Would be a nice luxury to have some way to bypass the 2-3 second wait.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #6 - May 19th, 2011, 12:15am

I believe right click or ctrl-click also bypass the delay.

WWW   IP Logged
Lucas D

Reply #7 - May 19th, 2011, 1:55am

Quote:
I believe right click or ctrl-click also bypass the delay.

On my system, right click or ctrl-click just bring up the contextual menu. Is there a setting that would affect this?

WWW   IP Logged
Peter Rich

Provo, Utah
Reply #8 - Aug 25th, 2011, 4:06am

I came looking for a way to quickly edit columns in outline view.  Basically, the 2-3 second wait makes it not really worthwhile to use this view for data entry.  What I would love to see is a way to move quickly from one column to the next in outline view, and have the cursor immediately ready for editing.  The tab key is currently bound to indentation, but the right and left arrow keys don't currently do anything.  This would make data entry in a spreadsheet-like way very quick (sometimes, I'm editing a bunch of attributes.  This would be extremely useful).

The fact that there are over 1200 views on this topic since May suggests to me that this (i.e., quick data entry) is actually something on many people's minds.  What say ye? Roll Eyes

</something witty>
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #9 - Aug 25th, 2011, 4:28am

Given the difficulties getting a delay for triggering Edit-it-Place on note $Name, it think the well-intentioned requests here should be looked at a different way. Rather than more fiddling with Outline and scope for unintended consequences & breakage, I think the idea points to a new 'table' view that is a spreadsheet-like data grid entirely intended for data edit. That way the view down't have to worry about title wrapping, display expressions, colours, etc.  The Outline can still show a rendered table output and allow editing as at present.  But for heavy, deliberate table based editing, I think having it's own view might be a good idea (and probably in the round less complex/expensive to all).

In summary, this isn't arguing against the proposal, but just suggesting a perhaps better way to the same ends.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Akiva R. Schoen

Seattle, WA
Reply #10 - Aug 25th, 2011, 11:01am

I've been putting together a list of my own feature requests and being able to do this is near the top of that list. However, I think I much prefer Mark A.'s idea of a new, dedicated view. That way, I could do rapid entry in one window and then outline adjustments in another.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print