Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Scandinavian and in exported text file (Read 13728 times)
Timo Parkkulainen

Helsinki, Finland
Scandinavian and in exported text file
Mar 20th, 2010, 3:43am

I am using scandinavian letters on my notes and on the exported text file they are not any more readable.  How I could fix my settings on this matter Huh

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Scandinavian and in exported text file
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2010, 4:41am

I suspect you need to use action code utf8(). It would help to know which export method - Text or HTML - that you are using and the template code.

« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2010, 4:41am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Timo Parkkulainen

Helsinki, Finland
Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2010, 5:09am

I am a new user of Tinderbox, so I do not know what is the most preferable way to get the notes (ideas) for example to the Word-processor so that I could polish my essay for presentation.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2010, 6:44am

Understood. As a common point of reference, what method (i.e. which menu option) did you use to make the export that doesn't work? Can you also clarify if you want text (plain Unicode text) or HTML output? I presume it's probably text if you're moving back and forth between you Word Processor.

« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2010, 7:10am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Timo Parkkulainen

Helsinki, Finland
Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2010, 7:17am

Yes, that's right. I prefer to download it to unicode text format, so that I can upload it MSWord text editor and finalize it there before sharing it.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2010, 8:45am

Ok, I see the problem.  Don't use the built-in templates. Make you own template. From the TB File menu, select 'Built-in Prototypes' and then 'HTML Template'. Now make a new note, open its Rename dialog and in the pop-up list of Prototypes and select 'HTML Template'. Don't worry about the 'HTML' in the name. The result is your new note is now a template that can be used for text (or HTML) export. Open the note and add this code:

^value($Name)^
^value($Text)^

Now when exporting, use Nakakoji view, and pop-up the template drop-down and select your template note. You're accented characters should export correctly.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Timo Parkkulainen

Helsinki, Finland
Reply #6 - Mar 20th, 2010, 10:36am

I made to my mind according to you instructions and everything seem to be like that, however my settings are either incorrect or the proposal does not fix the scandinavian letters.

I made a test note containing letters and my settings produced as follows

Test note
√√  √√∂  √√

I have now on my container a prototype 'download template' with the template containing the script you provided for me and I used the Nakakoji  view for setting my export parameters. Huh

IP Logged
Sumner Gerard

Reply #7 - Mar 20th, 2010, 11:43am

Somewhat similar results trying these same steps to export Chinese (which I understand is a 2-byte flavor of unicode that presumably should work as well as Scandinavian letters). Title and text display properly in Tinderbox notes (great leap forward!). But haven't figured out how to export in legible form to a word processor, except, of course, using trusty old 'cut and paste'. Get ∏≠ when looking for 中文。Is some sort of special html template the answer for these languages?

« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2010, 11:47am by Sumner Gerard »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #8 - Mar 20th, 2010, 1:06pm

Ah, it previews OK but something on the subsequent export is further encoding the accented characters. That looks like a glitch, possibly a by-blow of the text engine change - I'll report that.

« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2010, 1:07pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Timo Parkkulainen

Helsinki, Finland
Reply #9 - Mar 20th, 2010, 1:26pm

Being a new user of TB not knowing the typical response time of the technical support I would like to know a rough estimate or procedure of the fix process.  Could you please tell me of the next phases in the fix procedure?  This information would serve me in deciding how to proceed
with my projects.

IP Logged
Andreas Vlach

Trier, Germany
Reply #10 - Mar 20th, 2010, 2:25pm

What about trying toopen the exported file with UTF-8 encoding ... not "automatic encoding" like most text-editors do "automatically"

« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2010, 2:45pm by Andreas Vlach »  
WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #11 - Mar 20th, 2010, 2:58pm

Tech support is generally very responsive - if you've got a real problem (as opposed to a 'how to?') you're generally encouraged to email to support. As to app fixes to problems, small things are generally fixed fairly quickly in subsequent updates (and in - stable - betas before that).

As it happens, I know Mark Bernstein is at a conference in Canada right now where web access has proved to be very slow - so this might explain an apparent lack of response - he's back in office on Monday I believe. I've emailed notes on this issue already as I believe the export shouldn't be giving the problems you're seeing.

~~~~~~~
Meanwhile, to get correct export, for now use HTML Export - although the result is a web page the characters should display correctly and you can copy/paste these to your word processor.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Sumner Gerard

Reply #12 - Mar 20th, 2010, 3:49pm

Following up on Andreas's suggestion: Instead of control-clicking exported file and choosing "Open With [desired application]" as I usually do, I opened TextEdit, navigated to the exported file from within TextEdit, opened it after first choosing 'UTF-8' under 'Plain Text Encoding', et voil! Thanks.

In Word 2008 for Mac (which I don't often use) I did not have success with Chinese. Word offers a 'Unicode Text' option and various flavors of Unicode under that. 'Unicode 5.1 UTF-8' doesn't work, nor, it seems, do any of the many other options. Perhaps one of them will work for Scandinavian characters, though. (Of course copying and pasting into Word a file first opened in TextEdit as 'UTF-8' works too, though I had to select the pasted text and then explicitly choose a compatible font in Word for it to display correctly.)

Mark A, just to clarify what I see on my setup: Note title and text appear as expected in Map, Outline, Explorer, Chart, and Tree Map Views. In Find, title appears correctly if that note is a hit using an 'English' search string. In-place editing works where permitted. Buttitle can't be viewed/entered in Create/Rename dialog. In Nakakoji and HTML View and HTML 'Preview' the title and text are not recognizable,but the file exported via Nakakoji View can be opened in TextEdit (and probably other text editors) after first specifying 'UTF-8' as Andreas suggests.

« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2010, 4:11pm by Sumner Gerard »  
  IP Logged
Timo Parkkulainen

Helsinki, Finland
Reply #13 - Mar 20th, 2010, 4:49pm

Thank you for the help and for the information.  I have now managed to open the exported file with TeXturi on the format UTF8, however it is not so good word editor as the MSWord is.  Also I have managed to use the copy and paste -method.  So I guess I am able to limb forward.
Thank you very much.  This has been a very useful experience for me as a beginner.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #14 - Mar 20th, 2010, 5:03pm

In summary: text export/Nakakoji view should (in Tinderbox 5) export utf-8.  Some Mac applications assume that text files are utf-8, but some need to be reminded; exactly how this is done varies among applications but it's generally a menu choice.

Experienced Tinderbox users will know that we're currently in transition from older text representations to Unicode. As Sumner Gerard observes, some dialogs still use old-fashioned Mac Roman; this doesn't cause trouble for Scandinavian characters but it does annoy users of Eastern European and Asian languages.  We're working on it!

Support email often gets very fast response -- plenty of people around here have received overnight fixes.  But some problems are more challenging than others, and of course there's always a lot to do and too few hands.  Tinderbox 5.0.3, for example, should be out later this month.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print