Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  
 
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Scandinavian and in exported text file (Read 13575 times)
Sumner Gerard
Full Member
*
Offline



Posts: 359

Re: Scandinavian and in exported text file
Reply #15 - Mar 22nd, 2010, 2:58pm
 
Although I couldn't get Chinese text exported in Nakakoji view to open properly in Word (it does open in TextEdit after first specifying UTF-8) I did manage to get it into Word by exporting via HTML View.

I created 'html export wrapper' template:

<head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"/> </head>
^children(html export item) ^


And an 'html export item' template:

<h3>^value($Name)^</h3>
<p>^value($Text)^ </p>


Then I selected the container note for the notes to be exported, called up New HTML View, chose template file 'html export wrapper', designated a file name and export folder, and hit 'Preview'. This opens the file in the browser, where it can be copied and pasted into Word. Once in Word the text needs to be selected and an appropriate font chosen before it will display properly.

The UTF-8 declaration in the <head> tag saves having to change encoding manually in the browser if it is not already set to UTF-8. It leaves the browser setting as it was.

I assume this general approach will work in Scandinavian and other languages as well.



Back to top
 
 
  IP Logged
Andreas Vlach
Full Member
*
Offline



Posts: 21
Trier, Germany
Re: Scandinavian and in exported text file
Reply #16 - Mar 23rd, 2010, 8:11am
 
Quote:
Although I couldn't get Chinese text exported in Nakakoji view to open properly in Word (it does open in TextEdit after first specifying UTF-8)

You might try to convert in TextEdit the exported file into formatted text, and save it then as RTF. Word should open that correctly (at least i tried that succesfully with Pages and Open Office)
Back to top
 
 
WWW   IP Logged
Sumner Gerard
Full Member
*
Offline



Posts: 359

Re: Scandinavian and in exported text file
Reply #17 - Mar 23rd, 2010, 11:31am
 
Word seems to behave differently from the others with UTF-8. Perhaps something to do with expecting a BOM (byte order mark); at least Word inserts a BOM when saving in UTF-8.

Aside from exporting via HTML View as above, export from Nakokoji View to Word seems to be most easily accomplished via an intermediary program such as TextEdit, as Andreas Vlach suggests.

This finally worked for me:

1) Export selected notes via Nakokoji View with the simple template Mark A suggests above.

2) Open exported file in TextEdit after first selecting Plain Text Encoding 'Unicode (UTF-8)', as Andreas Vlach suggested.

3) In TextEdit 'Save as...' using Plain Text Encoding 'Unicode (UTF-16BE)' (if that is not a choice in the dropdown list add it via 'Custom Encodings List...' at the bottom of the dropdown list)

4) Open file in Word, choosing 'Unicode Text' in the Convert File dialog and then in the next dialog ticking 'Other encoding' and selecting 'Unicode 5.1'

5) Select the converted text in Word and switch to a readable font.



Back to top
 
 
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print