Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Historiography (and storytelling) with Tinderbox (Read 7707 times)
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Historiography (and storytelling) with Tinderbox
May 3rd, 2010, 1:11pm

Dan Allosso explores his graduate school reading list with Tinderbox:

http://danallosso.com/blog/files/d01fe9765455229a15f227821491ff3a-79.html

Nice discussion of the advantages of being able to see and touch your data: "[You] can't see THAT when they’re just a set of files in a folder."

« Last Edit: Jul 01st, 2010, 9:44am by Mark Bernstein »  
WWW   IP Logged
Dan Allosso

Re: Historiography with Tinderbox
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2010, 3:05pm

Thanks!  Since I got started with that, I've added a BUNCH of notes (I'm also using TB to keep track of my primary research for the diss.), but I notice the file is still only about a quarter of a megabyte, as opposed to an Endnote file containing roughly the same resources at 712MB (Nice that I can link to documents rather than attach them!).  That I'm still double-entering my data into Endnote and TB indicates my inexperience, I think...I'm still feeling my way along.

The thing I'm wondering about now is narrative.  I think I'm going to try to do that with Storyspace -- but that may only be because I still don't understand TB well enough.  I would be interested in hearing about how people have used the two together -- or have decided they don't need to.  

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2010, 3:51pm

I'm currently sketching a narrative in Tinderbox. Chiefly, that's because the performance environment for this hypertext hasn't been written yet; it will require XML input files, and Tinderbox is a really nice tool for building the XML. Meanwhile, map view helps keep plot points and linkage clear.

WWW   IP Logged
Dan Allosso

Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2010, 4:15pm

I'm also curious about the idea of applying incremental refinement to the output process as well as the input process.  I noticed Susan Gibb (http://susangibb.net/blog2/tag/tinderbox/ ) seems to have migrated from Storyscape to TB, and I do suspect that everything I could do in Storyscape could be done in TB, if only I could take the time to learn how.  Right now, I'm thinking of using TB for the "inside" process and Storyscape for the "outside" product.  Then, at some point, I'll learn html and abandon Storyscape.  In the meantime -- and I seem to live in the meantime...

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2010, 6:12pm

Far be it from me to discourage using Storyspace!  

In particular, Storyspace offers conditional links -- links that depend on what the reader has already seen -- and this are really important for large-scale narrative.

WWW   IP Logged
susan gibb

CT
Reply #5 - Jul 1st, 2010, 8:36am

The conditional links--the guard fields?--are indeed a great element in Storyspace, but do they export to html for publishing a narrative online, Mark?

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #6 - Jul 1st, 2010, 9:43am

Conditional links do not export to HTML, because HTML has no concept of conditional link.

Indeed, this (like blue text for links) was a blunder in the original design.  It's been replicated, in part, because it is difficult to choose a standard formalism, in part because JavaScript provides an ad hoc escape, but mostly because HTML standards people have tended not to worry as much about hypertextuality as about layout, and have focused on the page rather than the site.

Once you choose a formalism (Storyspace's is fine, though not my favorite) it's not hard to implement in Javascript.  I know of some very promising new work in this area, but as it's not *my* news, I'd best not talk too much).

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print