Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Mass-creating agents for unique values of a set (Read 18338 times)
jwiegley

Re: Mass-creating agents for unique values of a set
Reply #15 - Jan 14th, 2015, 5:49pm

I wonder if my recent feature suggestion about pivot agents would make this request easier to accomplish.  A pivot agent on tag values would be almost exactly what the original poster asked for.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #16 - Jan 14th, 2015, 5:57pm

This thread goes back to 2010. Notwithstanding your feature request, I do think Attribute Browser view (v6.0+) actually takes care of this. As discussed in the linked thread, the suggested feature whilst making absolute sense doesn't scale well whilst Attribute Browser provides a perfectly usable alternative.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
jwiegley

Reply #17 - Jan 14th, 2015, 5:59pm

I understand that, except the attribute browser solution doesn't allow me to save queries within my outline, the way that the original poster demonstrated with his tags example; or have I missed some aspect of how the browser should be used?

« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2015, 5:59pm by jwiegley »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #18 - Jan 14th, 2015, 6:10pm

Indeed not, but as explained in a separate thread, the proposed solution simply doesn't scale. I know, from experience, having tried - which is why I genuinely think AB is a better solution.

Yes, you could expand collapse (2 levels of) agent but in truth it is easier in practice to simple select a different attribute in AB. If you need an expression value then use an agent or rule to store the per-note value in a user attribute then view that in AB. If the expression needs value(s) that alter simply store those too in an attribute.

Otherwsise there's a lot of engineering cost to something already possible and which few users will use. Please understand, I'm not being argumentative or dismissive. I've had to deal with the issues you raise in actual research already done in TB; the experience is that once you get into the detail it won't scale in the way one might imagine. As it is, TB already offers the simple building blocks to do this albeit via a slightly different method and with no extra engineering needed. If you'd like more detail as to how, please ask - I'd be happy to help.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
jwiegley

Reply #19 - Jan 14th, 2015, 6:25pm

I wonder, can a container rule be used to create agents as children?  If so, I might be able to script what I'm thinking of for the case of smaller databases.

Otherwise, yes, I'd be quite interested in whatever you might write up to take better advantage of the attributes view.

And no, I haven't read you to be argumentative.  I realize this is a thin medium for us to communicate ideas, and I'm brand new to all of this, so please bear with me. Smiley

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #20 - Jan 15th, 2015, 11:16am

Actions can't create notes or agents. My understanding of the design intent in this regard that the risk of user error in action code creating runaway note creation (and support issues arising) outweighed he benefit for the few who'd use such a feature with the care needed. Regardless, that's the status quo as at v6.1.1.

However, you can make an agent into a prototype - the process is the same as with a note. A good tip if doing this is to turn the prototype agent 'off'. Thus you then add a new agent to your doc and before changing anything on it you set the prototype. The new agent now inherits the 'off' state whilst you go configure the query, etc. On a small doc this might be a seemingly slow process but on a big doc it's a time saver as you're not trying to search everything whilst still fully configuring the agent.

Agents can use the 'agent' designator in agent queries and actions to access the agent's attribute values. Thus we might add a string attribute $MyString as a key attribute (KA) to the agent and set the query to $Text.contains($MyString(agent)). If $MyString is 'cat', the agent will find all notes whose $Text contains the string 'cat'. To target a different attribute or type of match, just change the query:  $SomeUserAttribute==$MyString(agent). Now the agent matches an note whose $SomeUserAttribute has the exact value of 'cat'. To change the searched-for value, just edit $MyString as shown in the agents KA table and the query is immediately updated. If other notes hold different values of $MyString then you don't even need to type a new value; simply click the value list pop-up at the right side of the item's value box in the KA table (value lists).

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
jwiegley

Reply #21 - Jan 15th, 2015, 11:27am

That's a great idea, Mark!  I could have the query key off of $Name, and then make a stamp for re-enabling the agent, and it would be quite fast indeed to build "canned queries" as sub-items within a grouping container.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #22 - Jan 15th, 2015, 11:50am

Here's a useful stamp to toggle agents on/off (i.e off if on or vice versa):

if($AgentPriority>-1){$AgentPriority=-1}else{$AgentPriority=;}

--
Mark Anderson