Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Safari 'Reader' and aTbRef articles (Read 5193 times)
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Safari 'Reader' and aTbRef articles
Jun 17th, 2010, 6:09am

Testing aTbRef to see if it played nice with the new Safari v5 'Reader' feature I discovered there's no specific setting to trigger the feature. If you've good Safari v5, when you open this aTbRef page you'll see a purple 'Reader' button appear in the URL bar, just to the left of the reload symbol (click the Reader button to open Reader mode, Escape to close). Now try this page - no Reader option.

The feature works by looking at the page to see if there's content whose mark-up looks like a primary article, so short pages don't trigger the feature.  There's no way to force the option to show for a short page (so don't try). For those interested, I found this article which gives a bit more detail as to how the magic works.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pierre von Kaenel

Upstate NY
Re: Safari 'Reader' and aTbRef articles
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2010, 10:24am

Unfortunately, your first link to a page that shows the Reader button doesn't work for me, no button.  Using latest Safari and OSX.

However, there is Readability, a free service that does the same thing is consistently works.

« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2010, 10:25am by Pierre von Kaenel »  

- "Simplify, simplify, simplify" - Thoreau
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Safari 'Reader' and aTbRef articles
Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2010, 11:55am

How very odd!  Oh well, if nothing it proves the point that the browser chooses when to show a button - or not. As you rightly point out, there is Readability as an alternative and it also works in any browser not just Safari. In fact the Apple code is based in some part on Readability - there's an attribution to the project buried deep in Safari somewhere.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print