Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
1 Tinderbox = X iPad apps (Read 33303 times)
Jean Goodwin

North Carolina
Re: 1 Tinderbox = X iPad apps
Reply #15 - Sep 11th, 2010, 3:52pm

Hi, Charles:  Yes, I invested in TaskPaper because it's nice, and it has iPad/Mac synch (via Dropbox, eventually).  I also see what you mean, that TaskPaper's flexibility isn't going to allow it to translate well.  Using OmniOutliner as a translator is probably the best solution.

beru:  Right now, I have about a dozen major Tinderbox documents for different projects--working with everything in one was just straining my brain.  So the tag-agents method, although very elegant, isn't going to work for me.  We can all agree, though, that one of the big advantages of Tinderbox is that it supports tagging, and hierarchy, and maps, and probably every other invented way of displaying one's notes.

IP Logged
Charles Turner

New York, USA
Reply #16 - Sep 11th, 2010, 7:07pm

Quote:
I also see what you mean, that TaskPaper's flexibility isn't going to allow it to translate well.  Using OmniOutliner as a translator is probably the best solution.

Hi Jean-

If you make some kind of semantic distinction between Notes and Tasks in TaskPaper, that's a bit hard to preserve.

But if you're using the @tags (especially the @tag(value) kind) in TaskPaper, these would be easy to bring across, and I know of nothing that does this right now.

If this sounds like the way you're using TaskPaper, I could cook something up for you.

HTH, Charles

WWW   IP Logged
Jean Goodwin

North Carolina
Reply #17 - Sep 22nd, 2010, 6:06pm

Hi, Charles--sorry for the delay (work intruded) and thanks for the kind offer!  This explosion of "productivity" apps and applications is making visible how very different are the physical methods people have for keeping track of stuff, and thus likely the cognitive approaches as well.  Anyhow, my brain likes hierarchy/embedment, but I've never personally been able to use more than the loosest tagging system.  Tags for me just add a  meta-level of stress, as I begin to worry about forgetting the tags I've used.  If you get curious, though, you might see if there were takers over at the TaskPaper forum.

IP Logged
Charles Turner

New York, USA
Reply #18 - Sep 22nd, 2010, 7:00pm

Not a problem, Jean-

The interesting thing about TaskPaper, though, is the @tag(value) syntax, which could be used to set Tinderbox attributes.

For example, "@OutlineBackgroundColor(#FFFED2)" or "@Prototype(varga-1986)".

Like yourself, I like the ability to outline early in my note taking, but mostly don't have any of the metadata figured out at that stage in the process, so TaskPaper hasn't gotten that much use. Carbon Fin is the most useful to my way of working ATM.

If you reconsider, let me know. I have most of the OPML already built, and whipping up some conversion wouldn't be a huge effort.

Best wishes, Charles

WWW   IP Logged
Jean Goodwin

North Carolina
Reply #19 - Apr 30th, 2011, 12:32am

As an update on "Tinderbox emulators" for the iPad, the new ThinkBook app has a primitive agent functionality.  It exports text files which probably could be massaged into Tinderbox, although I don't think I'll be using it enough to bother.  Did make me lonely for a real Tinderbox App, though!

IP Logged
Paul Walters

Reply #20 - Apr 30th, 2011, 7:08am

@Jean, thank you for the tip on ThinkBook.  I'm not sure I see the "primitive agent" functionality - albeit the app is about as unintuitive as I've seen.  The output from ThinkBook can be roundtripped (via Dropbox) into iThoughtsHD, which itself creates very useful OPML for Tinderbox.

IP Logged
Jean Goodwin

North Carolina
Reply #21 - Apr 30th, 2011, 9:36am

Hmmm--a test of upload into iThoughts does produce a few nodes with child notes, but most of the hierarchy seems to get lost, at least for one test document.  

"Primitive agent"="finder":  a note that will collect what are essentially aliases of other notes of specified types/locations/tags.  Hey, at least it's something!

Anyhow, as I said I doubt if I'll be using it.  On the iPad, I've settled into TaskPaper + PlainText/Notational Velocity + occasionally an outliner (waiting for TinderPad, of course).  But shouldn't we be careful about 'unintuitive' judgments?  Any app that actually asks us users to interact with a touch screen is likely to be novel and thus 'unintuitive,' and it's nice to see developers at least trying!

IP Logged
uneu

Reply #22 - May 7th, 2011, 5:04am

just wanted to mention an app called DNoteIt which integrates Simplenote
(no I do not get money for mentioning it, just a user of this app and think it is better than nothing at all to order simplenotes somehow on iPad)

« Last Edit: May 7th, 2011, 5:05am by uneu »  
WWW   IP Logged
Paul Walters

OmniOutliner for iPad & TBX
Reply #23 - May 10th, 2011, 12:08pm

Omnigroup has posted a description and screenshots of the (soon, one hopes) forthcoming OmniOutliner for iPad (here).   With OPML in/output, columns for elements (attributes), etc., this might be a worthy companion to TBX.

« Last Edit: May 10th, 2011, 12:08pm by Paul Walters »  
  IP Logged
Jean Goodwin

North Carolina
Reply #24 - May 12th, 2011, 4:37pm

Hello, all!  OmniOutliner came out today, and its OPML export plays well with Tinderbox--notes become Text, and columns become KeyAttributes.  Usability is good, too; they've managed to handle styles on the iPad in a way that is a lot less fussy than their desktop applications, which I find too annoying to use much.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #25 - May 12th, 2011, 4:44pm

If using v5.9.0+ you should also find that tick-box OO checked state now imports to $Checked (from the OPML '_status' attribute).

« Last Edit: May 12th, 2011, 4:44pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Paul Walters

Reply #26 - Jun 4th, 2011, 7:55am

There's a funky iPad app called inShort, by Jury Shortki (Shortki.com) that is for designing process and project flows.  It has zero adaptability to Tinderbox as yet -- the export is only to PDF or a proprietary format.  But it is worth looking at because it is basically a multi-level mapping approach with a small amount of AI and enactment.  For me, it's an example of how a useful subset of Tinderbox's power in mapping and linking might be implemented on iOS.  In a sense it is the most Tinderbox-like app on iPad, other than the outliners already discussed above.

IP Logged
Jean Goodwin

North Carolina
Reply #27 - Jul 19th, 2011, 12:25am

That weird inShort app now exports Tinderbox-readable OPML.  Since the app allows recursive maps (boxes within boxes), links of a sort, and an outline view, I suppose it really is inching towards being a Tinderbox analog for the iPad.

But mostly it makes me lonely for echt iPad TBX.

IP Logged
Jean Goodwin

North Carolina
Reply #28 - Sep 17th, 2011, 5:28pm

Yet another update.  "MagicalPad" allows "boxes"--each with their own outline--which can be moved around a large map.  It exports OPML.  So it has a bit of the hierarchy-plus-visual idea going, which is my favorite thing about Tinderbox.  Of course, it's minus linking, agents, attributes....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print