Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
exporting parts of notes as separate text files? (Read 3521 times)
beru

Bærum
exporting parts of notes as separate text files?
Sep 12th, 2010, 7:11am

I have many notes within TB with text of interest embedded within text markers.
(like: ---here_it_comes--->text of interest<---this_was_it---)

The challange I am facing is to export as individual text files the text between the markers. I hope it is possible from within TB to do that. Are there any pointers to how to achieve this?

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: exporting parts of notes as separate text files?
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2010, 7:53am

Not within Tinderbox; the idiomatic solution would be to split your note into smaller, more focused notes -- one of which would be the "text of interest".

It would not be difficult to use an HTMLExportCommand to call a script that filters a file, deleting everything before and after your delimiters. This would be a one-liner in perl or ruby, I fancy.

But smaller, focused notes are a good idea for other reasons, too. Agents, for example, are usually most helpful when looking for smaller notes.  And links to a specific note tend to be more meaningful than links to a larger and more amorphous text.

WWW   IP Logged
beru

Bærum
Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2010, 8:06am

I see. I will try to split up the notes in the future. The reason why they are not devided is because that is difficult when trying to handle so many text files between devices. Right now they consist of:

- tags defining purpose and content
- abstract
- actual text (contained between markers)

thant seemed like logical solution to me, but maybe it is not.
(I am seeing me already manually extracting the text between the markers, I have no clue about scripts, filters and the like, what a pain, it is my fault I guess...)

IP Logged
beru

Bærum
Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2010, 2:30pm

here is a follow-up on this problem:
I decided to use a software called TextSoap and it just took me ca. 20 min. to set up based on the help I received. I do not claim it is in any way good being naive to programming, html etc. but it is still possible to survive.

http://groups.google.com/group/textsoap/browse_thread/thread/1daa5c1550256425

« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2010, 2:30pm by beru »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print