Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Exporting notes as footnotes (Read 11992 times)
Rigas Arvanitis

Paris (France)
Re: Exporting notes as footnotes
Reply #15 - Sep 19th, 2010, 5:21pm

IIRC, the Word vendor is Microsoft !!!!!!

Pressure? Microsoft? HA !

« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2010, 5:22pm by Rigas Arvanitis »  

Rigas Arvanitis
WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #16 - Sep 20th, 2010, 8:30am

Having done some research this morning, it appears Word has no mechanism for importing Footnotes. Short of TB exporting DOC files with footnotes I see no easy way.

You could exporting to HTML and try and make per-exported HTML page endnotes (paper-page based pagination is a kludge in HTML). Word might be able to detect these endnotes on import (not tried) and then a macro could be used to convert end-notes to page-based end-notes. You do need to understand that TB (and HTML) aren't page-based layout apps and that plain-text doesn't (as far I can tell) have a format for indicating footnotes. Note that in Mac Word up to Office 2004, VBA was used for macros.  Office 2008 ditched this in favour of an under-documented and incomplete AppleScript scripting interface.  I understand VBA makes a return in Office 2011. So depending on the flavour of word you use the workflow may differ.

My suggestion is that you go to the MS forums (the Mac ones are actually pretty helpful) - as you best understand your need - and get the view of Word app [sic] experts on the best form of input to use; text or HTML, as TB can't do RTF. Once you've got that answer then we can more sensibly look at how/if TB export can create the right output. Trying to do it all from TB is unlikely to work as the problem is Word's input limitations rather than TB's output.

Alternatively, another Mac WP app (Mellel, Nisus, Ulysses, etc.) may have a method for inputting foot notes. If so you could go TB -> other app -> Word.

« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2010, 3:29am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
JB

Maine
Reply #17 - Sep 21st, 2010, 2:53am

Quote:
Another simple solution to track numbers is to have an agent that collects all notes with "footnote" prototype (in my case). Then see in outline mode the number of notes (by choosing Columns in the view menu). If I have 3 my next "footnote" will be 4.
That works in sequential notes. It doesnt if you what to insert a note. I suspect that Tinderbow has the interesting information stocked somewhere by necessity for tracking the outlines and links.

As for keeping track of which numbers have been used for footnotes (when using the system I described above), Tinderbox makes this easy. There are many ways, as usual, but I use a regex to find the number in curly brackets and then assign it to a user attribute (I do this for the footnote notes, since each note of this kind has only one such number) and then collect and sort these numbers, so that I can tell at a glance which number should be used next (regardless of the order of these numbers in the text itself).

My way is no doubt clunky since I don't know how to do many, many things and often end up storing a piece of data in a user attribute in order to get to the next step in the routine. A guru could make this process much, much more streamlined, I'm sure.

Quote:
Alternatively, another Mac WP app (Mellel, Nisus, etc.) may have a method for inputting foot notes. If so you could go TB -> other app -> Word.

Nisus can turn plain text into formatted text, including footnotes, by way of find/replace expressions, macros, and the like which can be stored and reused—although it seems to require in-line, Latex-style notes. (See the macros written by the legendary Kino.) As someone has already said Wink, Ulysses can do this elegantly: plain text is its vernacular and it produces rtf that Wrd evidently can understand.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print