Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Export options: Keynote/OPML (Read 6844 times)
George Mc

Southampton, UK
Export options: Keynote/OPML
Sep 25th, 2010, 10:51am

I am sure older versions of TBX let you export to OPML then Keynote. (I am right aren't I?).

I am using tbx more and more as a replacement for Keynote/ppt but still need to export out some stuff.

Any suggestions on an easy way?

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Export options: Keynote/OPML
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2010, 4:05pm

The same OPML templates used in earlier Tinderbox versions will work well in Tinderbox today.

WWW   IP Logged
Cyrus A.

Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2010, 10:18am

and how2?

At the moment I am thinking to use Tinderbox for my work but I need as an output file where I can present in the "normal" office area as:

pdf
jpg
tif
docx
pptx

Is there a way?

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2010, 10:44am

Much depends on exactly what you want to accomplish.  In general, the common workflow is to decide what information you want to appear in your document and to export it to an HTML file.

Word will read your HTML file and produce docx if you like. Perhaps Open Office, too.

pdf is trivial; just print.

ppt can be easy in principle, but much depends on what you want to do.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Sep 30th, 2010, 4:41am

@George Mc - are you referring to the demo I did for exporting a TBX to Keynote? Didn't I show that at the last London TB weekend? Anyway, if I recall Keynote (and PowerPoint) don't support OPML. The demo you saw borrows OmniOutliner's trick of using XML [sic] output to create the 'data' file for a Keynote v1 project file.

The latter method uses Keynote v1 files because Keynote subsequently  followed Powerpoint's route in using an undocumented XML format of Byzantine complexity. Luckily, Keynote reads it's v1 files OK. One has to hope presentation apps will grow up soon and start allowing outline import - for which OPML would be the logical format.

FWIW, if you want to go TB -> PPT, best option is to go TB -> KN -> PPT, using the method above. It means getting MS Office but having wasted days trying to figure Office XML on the Mac, it's cheaper than the time otherwise wasted.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Cyrus A.

Reply #5 - Sep 30th, 2010, 5:33am

For presentation I need the map and not the outline to show up:

If I export as HTML, I creates from every item an item.html -File with no linking, so the linking is necessary for me. There is no index.html

PDF doesnīt seem to be that trivial, when I am printing it just shows the links in a different way I have it in my map wihout any items.

PPT as an output I couldnīt find already.

So how I can show the programm: I want an output/export from my map.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #6 - Sep 30th, 2010, 8:13am

There is currently no way to export a map to HTML or other formats.

The old method of exporting a JPG picture of the map is currently disabled as part of ongoing improvements to TB's handling of images data. I'm sure it will return but as a fellow user can't say when..

HTML export of map formats has never been possible - and having tried workarounds, I can attest it is a task of no small complexity!

My previous post covers Keynote and Powerpoint - note my last paragraph. I got quite deep into TB- > PPT but Micro$oft Office dev sources simply don't seem to recognise Macs as an area of Office dev work, sadly!

A third-party (pay-for) solution you could investigate is Emberlight. In a nutshell, Emberlight gives you a web accessible/editable Tinderbox document with Outline, Map and Roadmap views plus note windows. It has most of the main TB users and Emberlight's authors are open to new features being added.

« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2010, 8:13am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
George Mc

Southampton, UK
Reply #7 - Sep 30th, 2010, 2:18pm

Thanks to both Mark A, and Mark B for comprehensive answers.

All sorted with the keynote export/opml. (using omni-outliner as an intermediary).

@Cyrus - if you need a image of the tbx map, just do what I have done from the start - screen shot (use grab.app to provide a higher res).

Emberlight looks cool, just running it from school would be a hassle, need it locally hosted on an intranet server.

IP Logged
Cyrus A.

Reply #8 - Oct 1st, 2010, 7:43am

@ Mark A,B: Thank you guys! Now I have a clue.

I will test Emberlight

So I am looking forward for the development of this tool Tinderbox. Just after two days of using I find it perfect in usage.

@George: For screenshots I use Skitch, a very powerful tool too.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print