Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Case Studies and Tutorials: What Grabs You? (Read 9157 times)
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Case Studies and Tutorials: What Grabs You?
Nov 17th, 2010, 1:51pm

I'm toying with writing a fresh tutorial overview exploring a biggish Tinderbox task. Things I'm thinking about include:

• Designing and planning a new course
  • Planning a trade show or internal sales conference
  • Managing a new product launch or special promotion
  • Planning and managing a major software product release
  • Running a local political campaign

Suggestions welcome on (a) topics you'd especially like, and (b) aspects you'd like to see covered.  

WWW   IP Logged
Paul Walters

Re: Case Studies and Tutorials: What Grabs You?
Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2010, 2:36pm

I'd be interested in using Tinderbox to build ontologies.  Specifically, modeling domains interatively and using the linking features of Tinderbox to define classes and hierarchies.

IP Logged
Derek Van Ittersum

Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2010, 2:43pm

I'm open to almost any topic, but in terms of aspects, I'd really like to see how complex agents are developed organically out of the intersection between data and task.  I feel like I'm not nearly exploiting the agents to the extent that I could be, but without a computer science background, I have a hard time imagining what's possible.  Something along the lines of pulling relationships and patterns out of unruly data, but also manipulating data/patterns in useful and automatic ways.  Sorry, vague, I know, but it's hard to imagine the possibilities . . .

IP Logged
Jean Goodwin

North Carolina
Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2010, 8:54pm

If I know what I need to know, then I turn to the help file or aTbRef.  The case studies are cool because I learn the questions I should have been asking.  Almost anything will work, as long as it's complex enough.  

There is one key point, however:  For heaven's sake, don't stop writing until we know what those pills are, who else was with Julie at the time of the first accident, and why Carson broke the window!

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2010, 12:11am

Aha.

I really liked the plot of Romero. But, somewhat to my surprise, it seemed unloved and, perhaps, it was distracting. Still, you're right; the current state is unsettling. Perhaps some new Romero episodes may come in the next month or two.

WWW   IP Logged
Hugh

Reply #5 - Nov 19th, 2010, 10:39am

"Almost anything will do, as long as it's complex enough."

My thought precisely, although I'd add "And as long as it's also explained well enough to achieve clarity and understanding for those of us for whom codes and scripting are currently an alien territory."

IP Logged
linn

Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2011, 11:34am

Did anything come out of this request? I'd like to add two suggestions for case studies and tutorials. As a case study, I'd like to see all the pieces of the large gray dashboard (http://www.eastgate.com/Tinderbox/forum//YaBB.pl?num=1237407056) presented in one place in the updated (5.7) version of TBX. There was a lengthy discussion of it a while ago, but there were too many gaps for a new user to follow. I think this dashboard notion is really nice, and although it's a bit awkward without images, I used a quick and dirty variant for introducing a course overview. But the large gray dashboard is feature-rich, including the use of dates, and that's why I think it makes a good case study.  
 I would also like to see a tutorial that focuses on a compare/contrast between nonfiction and fiction book projects and what is useful (and silly) to automate. (This would be relevant to the dashboard, too). As a tutorial, knowing how to think about about these two kinds of projects would be useful to both kinds of authors, but in addition, the comparison might offer a much better "brains=on" understanding than one form of writing or another might offer.
 My sense is that quite a lot of this work is already available in the forums, but it is either gappy (e.g., in the Revisiting writing a Novel) or the details and applicability to the 5.7 version isn't clear as in the Starting a Ph.D. discussion (http://www.eastgate.com/Tinderbox/forum//YaBB.pl?num=1197236813).  Here, I think that Mark's overall advise was useful (focus on the research and the content), but there was only one substantive piece of advice, which was about making a note that WASN'T a prototype, but would use AddOn OnAdd for getting the attributes. (I don't get this yet, but I suppose more tinkering (Tinkerbox Forum?), will get me through that.  
 I should add that even with nothing but my ideas thrown onto/into notes over a few adornments was well worth while (ok, I'll confess: creates a warm, fuzzy feeling), and now I know (the emergent structure), that I want to distinguish the "this is my story" content from the "better read this" content, which I want to put itself on separate list. I think I can work that out, too.

« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2011, 12:32pm by Mark Bernstein »  
  IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2011, 12:31pm

A terrific new screencast, and a second full-dress demo, are already in the works. And lots more is on the way behind these!  Stay tuned...

WWW   IP Logged
Rich Shields

California
Reply #8 - Feb 9th, 2011, 8:13pm

I agree with Jean and Hugh.

I have read through the book twice and have a better sense of what is happening and why. But the examples/tutorials could fill a significant gap (from “here” to “there”).

I like the idea of a new course.

WWW   IP Logged
Greg Staples

Reply #9 - Feb 22nd, 2011, 10:11am

"A terrific new screencast, and a second full-dress demo, are already in the works. And lots more is on the way behind these!  Stay tuned..."

Where is the "first" full dress demo? I'm still struggling to pull the pieces together as a new user..

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #10 - Feb 22nd, 2011, 12:45pm

In speaking of "full-dress demo", I was thinking of Planning a Book With Tinderbox, a 21-minute screencast.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print