Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Perspectives (see OmniFocus) (Read 12695 times)
Jack Baty

Perspectives (see OmniFocus)
Nov 18th, 2010, 9:46am

After once again diving into OmniFocus I'm reminded that its implementation of "Perspectives" is terrific. The way I use Tinderbox requires a lot of window management and oh how nice it would be to save a configuration of open windows, views, etc. as a named Perspective (or whatever it should be called.) Certainly not an easy problem to solve, but I would find it very useful.

IP Logged
Charles Turner

New York, USA
Re: Perspectives (see OmniFocus)
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2010, 10:55am

This is Applescript-able.

WWW   IP Logged
Jack Baty

Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2010, 10:59am

Charles, that is true. Although it does sort of take the "convenience" out of what is mostly a convenience feature Smiley

IP Logged
Charles Turner

New York, USA
Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2010, 12:24pm

Only you can know whether your investment will yield a return.

WWW   IP Logged
Stephane

@istib
Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2010, 3:46am

I would love this too. Especially since I'm using one big TBX file for everything.

Charles, how exactly is this ASable?

WWW   IP Logged
Charles Turner

New York, USA
Reply #5 - Nov 19th, 2010, 7:12am

You have to control three (maybe) things: cursor location, menu selection and window position.

The first two are most easily controlled with some kind of macro program such as Keyboard Maestro, but are also Applescriptable via Universal Access. If you really wanted to go this route, I could post some basic examples.

The last bit is window size and position, which I discussed here:

http://www.eastgate.com/Tinderbox/forum//YaBB.pl?num=1289217887/1#1

So, figuring out the first "perspective" might be hard, but subsequent ones are pretty easy...

HTH, Charles

WWW   IP Logged
Stephane

@istib
Reply #6 - Nov 20th, 2010, 12:07pm

Charles, thanks for the tip but this wouldn't entirely solve my problem.

I work on a one huge file (see recent post on splitting files in TB, it is rather annoying because prototypes are not preserved when merging files). "Perspectives" or bookmarks (as it has been termed in earlier posts) to me would serve two purposes:

- quick access to specific containers which are not readily accessible (i.e. oftentimes several levels deep into a container/child tree structure)
- memorising window attributes as per last usage, in particular position of window(s), open columns and checkboxes in outline windows, and scrolling position in map window.

This is how I concretely imagine it being implemented:
a menu option in the Window Menu, e.g., in which you can take a snapshot of the current window arrangement, which Tinderbox could save as a <windows></windows> element in the tbx file. These snapshots would then be callable from the same Window Menu.

PS: And no, keeping all the relevant windows as minimized is not really a workable option! I use Tinderbox for so many purposes that the dock would become far too crowded.

Best,
Manuel

« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2010, 12:10pm by Stephane »  
WWW   IP Logged
Charles Turner

New York, USA
Reply #7 - Nov 20th, 2010, 1:53pm

Quote:
- quick access to specific containers which are not readily accessible (i.e. oftentimes several levels deep into a container/child tree structure)
- memorising window attributes as per last usage, in particular position of window(s), open columns and checkboxes in outline windows, and scrolling position in map window.

For objection number one, just make yourself a top-level entry in your outline called "Perspectives" and put aliases to the relevant items in there. In other words, make your menu a piece of your outline instead of hoping for a menu.

For objection number two, the ones you mention are A-scriptable, so I'm not sure they're objections. I posted a scrolling script a while back, but it's more than 25 posts in the past and I'm too lazy to search for it.

As I said, only you can decide whether the investment will pay off.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #8 - Nov 20th, 2010, 3:20pm

@Manuel - something possible to do today (v5.7.0) to rapidly access deeply nested containers is to place an alias at root level (or wherever you want access). Then select and use 'Show Original'.  I'm not suggesting this is the feature discussed here - just a workaround.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Stephane

@istib
Reply #9 - Nov 20th, 2010, 4:02pm

Fair enough, thanks for the tips to you both.
I might have a go at KBMaestro-scripting the restoring of specific columns in certain windows, since this had proved the most bothersome to redo manually each time

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Scott

Reply #10 - Aug 24th, 2013, 9:05am

I would be a huge fan of some sort of "perspective" solution.  For example, when making a presentation, I might want quickly jump to a particular map view.  When preparing for the presentation, I might want to open an explorer window and hide everything else.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #11 - Aug 28th, 2013, 12:38pm

I think we've got a nice solution for this in Tinderbox Six.  Stay tuned.

WWW   IP Logged
Jack Baty

Reply #12 - Aug 28th, 2013, 1:23pm

I try not to think much about Tinderbox 6 because the anticipation may just kill me. Smiley

Very much looking forward to what you've been working on.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print