Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Languages - Russian (Read 3779 times)
Bravobrk

Languages - Russian
Nov 18th, 2010, 5:00pm

Hi i'm new to Tinderbox but trying to learn how to use the program. I attempted to search the forum to no avail for my problem so i decided to ask instead. Hopefully one of you can be of help.

I want to be able to type in Russian in Tinderbox. Which works if i create a note by double clicking in the map view. However if i want it to be a prototype, an agent or an attribute and i right click and get a display window and i start typing all i get is nonsense. Same with the double clicked note. If i decide to rename it to something else and open up a window, i lose the Russian text and get question marks. Is there a way around this?

Thank you.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Languages - Russian
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2010, 5:21pm

As I understand it, it the Create/Rename dilaog (for note, agent, or adornment) is not Unicod  capable and thus doesn't support non-ASCII characters. In addition there is an issue with KeyAttribute display and Info view.  Although the attributes can store non-ASCII test the data entry boxes can display is properly. For chapter and verse I'd suggest contacting suppler@eastgate.com - you'll find them responsive and you'll get a more accurate answer than mine.

There are work-arounds for most of these issues.  The simplest is $Name - instead of using the Create/Rename dialog, use edit-in-place. For actions & rules and queries, you can set them to the contents of $Text of their own or another note. For an agent, you might set the Rule (in the rename dialog**) to:

$AgentQuery = $Text

Then, open the agent's text window and add the query code including the Cyrillic text. If the agent already has actual text, we can use $Text from another note. So perhaps we'll store our query in note "A1". Now the agent's rule is:

$AgentQuery = $Text(A1)

« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2010, 5:35pm by Mark Bernstein »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Bravobrk

Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2010, 5:47pm

Thank you Mark for such a quick reply. I tried the Edit in Place and it worked on everything. I was not sure about your agent instructions. But the Edit in Place still worked.

Do you have any suggestions for Search? As i cant type in Cyrillic in the search box.

Thanks again.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2010, 5:57pm

As said above, I'd contact Eastgate to get detail on which dialogs aren't (yet) Unicode capable. the change is work in progress so it's best to ask the developer directly.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Bravobrk

Reply #4 - Nov 18th, 2010, 6:08pm

Ok sounds good. Thank you

IP Logged
Allan Tsai

Reply #5 - Nov 18th, 2010, 11:44pm

Bravobrk,
The last few posts in this thread may give you some information related to typing Russian: http://www.eastgate.com/Tinderbox/forum//YaBB.pl?num=1202953324/19#19

Tinderbox 4.7.1
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM
OS X 10.6.1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print