Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
aTbRef v5.7.1 released (Read 26904 times)
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
aTbRef v5.7.1 released
Nov 23rd, 2010, 4:53pm

Site updated including zips for TBX and of images. Please report an errors/omissions to me.

http://www.acrobatfaq.com/atbref5/

« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2010, 5:13pm by Mark Bernstein »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: aTbRef v5.7.1 released
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2010, 6:06pm

I forgot to save the TBX before the export - I've just refresh the ZIP of the TBX. this only affects those who use the TBX locally. They should re-download the ZIP. The HTML site is unaffected.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2010, 1:54pm

Updated. I missed to post-beta additions to operators (here and here) plus I've added a couple of notes re syntax (here and here).

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Hugh

Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2010, 8:36am

I downloaded aTbRef v5.7.1 to use it as a Tinderbox file locally on my computer, and very useful it seems to be too.

However, it uses a lot of resources, not so much in terms of RAM of which there seems to be quite a lot idle, but in terms of CPU - when the file is loaded, User CPU goes to 50 per cent plus and the temperature rises sharply, causing the fan to roar away at maximum speed. (I close all other significant programmes.)

Is this to be expected? A function of all the links? Is the CPU too puny? Or is something else going on that I can stop, such as agents recycling? If possible, I'd like to keep the file open whilst using Tinderbox for other purposes.

I am not manipulating the file, simply opening each note in order in the outline, reading it and closing it. No other single application I have, or even reasonable combination of applications, appears to use CPU to this extent.

The computer, by the way, is a MacBook: Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GHz, 2 Mb RAM, 5.5.8.

IP Logged
Paul Walters

Reply #4 - Nov 27th, 2010, 8:53am

@Hugh

I recommend exporting the aTbRef Tinderbox document as HTML to a dedicated folder.  Downloaded the images and unzip them to an "images" folder at the root of the export folder (at the same level as index.HTML). You will then have a local copy of aTbRef.  Navigate your browser to index.HTML in the export folder and bookmark it.  The result is no more resource intensive than any website in your browser - and probably less so.

IP Logged
Hugh

Reply #5 - Nov 27th, 2010, 9:59am

Paul ~ perfect! Thank you!

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #6 - Nov 27th, 2010, 1:44pm

Hugh, I've  2.75 year old MacBookPro with OS 10.5.8, 2.5GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM. When I load the file I see one core go to c.50% for about 30 sec or so. I assume this is all the agents initialising. Some agents depend on others running, IOW agent B depends on agent A having data, so it takes a few cycles to get everything steady. However, performance is otherwise OK but not as fast as in smaller TBXs. I do leave "check spelling as you type" on and turning that off does help performance a little.

For those using rather than editing aTbRef, you could add an agent:

AgentQuery: descendedFrom("A Tinderbox Reference File") & $AgentQuery
AgentAction: $AgentPriority = -1

Let it run, then delete that agent. Now all the agents in the content part of the TBX are off. Their main role is to help express the attribute, action operator and export code lists in secondary ways, e.f. attribute by data type.  Once 'complete' the lists don't need the agent running.

I'm open to genuine suggestions for improving the performance of my TBX.

« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2010, 2:00pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Hugh

Reply #7 - Nov 28th, 2010, 6:37am

Thanks Mark. I shall follow your advice as well. Ultimately I prefer the TBX format for aTbRef -- and it will be good practice in the use of agents!

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #8 - Nov 28th, 2010, 10:08am

@Hugh, testing more, I do see the sort of issue you describe. Pulling out all agents and rules doesn't affect it which makes me think it's some other gremlin - which might account for the text view slow-down as well. The TBX has survived every version since 2.3.4 and most betas too so some thing may have got lodged under the hood.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Hugh

Reply #9 - Nov 28th, 2010, 10:38am

Ah. I wondered. It did seem to me reasonable that a single TBX ought to be able to contain as many agents and links as aTbRef contains without being quite so CPU-intensive.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #10 - Nov 28th, 2010, 12:11pm

It seems the effect is inconsistent - on my Mac anyway.  Try the latest TBX. I updated it this afternoon (although not via TBX full export which is why the built-in aTbRef update alert in your current copy won't have triggered).

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Hugh

Reply #11 - Nov 29th, 2010, 5:33am

Hmm. Same again with the updated version, unfortunately. CPU usage up to 75 per cent. Shortly after closing the new TBX file (unedited), the application quit unexpectedly.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #12 - Nov 29th, 2010, 7:37am

Noted - I'm looking in to it.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #13 - Dec 3rd, 2010, 6:48pm

Kudos to Mark B for finding the slow-down. Anyway, aTbRef site refreshed; some new data but mainly a TBX that won't max out the CPU.

Incidentally, thanks to @hugh for raising this issue. My ageing MBP still fast enough that whilst I'd spotted the TBX getting sluggish I'd not thought to look at Activity Monitor, instead wrongly blaming the agent update cycle and trying to affect that. This is why it is nice if people do report errors/omissions in aTbRef - sometimes I miss things.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Hugh

Reply #14 - Dec 4th, 2010, 6:47am

Glad to have helped, Mark A.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3