Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Exporting "formatted" text (Read 6081 times)
Charlyn Lee

Exporting "formatted" text
Dec 30th, 2010, 9:51pm

If I wish to export text that carries formatting, e.g. bold, italics, underline, etc, can I do this with Tinderbox?

The text is for (later) importing into InDesign (or Pages) for page-formatting.

In the Nakakoji View, I noticed that all my bold, italics, underlines disappear, I presume text export is simple "plain text" _only_?

If the text can carry certain "markup" (I use this word as a newbie, please be forgiving), e.g. Along the lines of **bolded**, ##italicised##, __underlined__, would be helpful.

I understand that HTML view/export enables markup that differentiates what I need, however, it only exports the selected note?

Appreciate your pointers on this.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Exporting "formatted" text
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2010, 4:17am

You can think of Nakakoji view-based export as plain text export; by intent, no formatting is retained. HTML Export can also be considered as marked up text export.

If you have note text as "this is some **bold** text", you can use either export method as the "**" won't be transformed. However, if you had "this is some bold text" you could get it exported as this is some **bold** text" via HTML export by setting the export mark-up styling for bold/italic/underline, e.g. '<b>' would be replaced with '**'.

If you're not familiar with mark-up languages like HTML you may need some initial help in the forum to get going but the main thing is I believe what you want it possible - it's simply that you'll need to do some customisation of your TBXs so your non-default methods can be used for export.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Charlyn Lee

Reply #2 - Jan 1st, 2011, 8:11am

Yes Mark, that makes a lot of sense. How am I able to export the HTML option in a single file just like the Nakakoji export?

Thanks and Happy 2011!

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Jan 1st, 2011, 8:46am

If I understand you correctly you want to HTML-export just a single note. If so...

Select the note you wish to export. Open HTML view.  Select the template you wish to use - and if necessary alter the styling as above.  Then click the "Export' button. The first time you do this - for any given TBX document - you'll be asked where the export should be placed.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Matt Cawood

New England, Australia
Reply #4 - Jan 2nd, 2011, 4:24am

Is it possible to use HTML export to export a note to RTF format? I thought I read some years ago that this is possible. This would be exactly what the OP is after.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Jan 2nd, 2011, 8:26am

My understanding is 'No' - or not at present, though I think it's been kicked around as a feature request.  HTML is basically plain text with mark-up/tags. Ergo the "HTML Export" is marked-up plain text export, and so can do XML, LaTeX, etc. As I don't think you can make text-based RTF tags so logically you can't export RTF.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2011, 9:46am

I think one *could* export rtf, much as people use HTML Export to create LaTeX.  But it's not very easy, and I'm not sure it's the ideal route.

Instead, consider using straight HTML export to assemble and format your document. Most text tools will import HTML nicely. And, even if yours doesn't, you can view the export in Safari, copy, and paste it into your destination; that will work, and it's straightforward.

(One situation that might arise that this doesn't cover is export of hundreds or thousands of formatted text notes as distinct notes, to a tool that only imports rtf and not HTML.  If that's your situation, perhaps contacting Eastgate with the particulars would help: info@eastgate.com)

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print