Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Errors, Omissions, Typos in TBx 5.7.1 Help File (Read 6472 times)
iGregor

Errors, Omissions, Typos in TBx 5.7.1 Help File
Jan 01st, 2011, 8:49am

FWIW, I thought I'd create a topic to collect some of the errors, omissions and typos in the 5.7.1 Help File.  Here are some that I've encountered, so far:

• There is no listing of "List" under Attribute Type on the Attribute page.

• This quote appears under Listing notes on the Notes page
Quote:
select Locate... from the Edit menu
 "Locate" is located in the View menu.

• This quote appears under Drag and Drop on the Importing Notes page
Quote:
a folder of text files: drag a folder of text files from the Finder. Drop it into a view window to create a new container, which will hold individual notes for each file.
 However, dropping folders into Outline and Map view windows does not seem to produce containers.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Errors, Omissions, Typos in TBx 5.7.1 Help File
Reply #1 - Jan 1st, 2011, 9:03am

Thanks, I've passed those in for the Help file.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
iGregor

Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2011, 9:10am

I have encountered what I suspect is an error and a typo in the Help File.

Following instructions on the Agents Page of the Help File I attempted to create an agent to locate notes in which the TimelineBandLabels were set to Outstory.  I found a suspected typo in the instruction.  Here's the text:

"The pulldown menus in the middle of the agent dialog allow you to create a search expression.
Choose an system attribute—such as $Text, or a user-defined attribute."

I suspect this should read either "a system attribute" or "any system attribute."  

In either case I was unable to locate TimelineBandLabels among the attributes in the Query pull down menu.  The only attributes listed are Text, Name and my User attributes.

Not to be deterred I typed in the statement $TimelineBandLabels="Outstory" and clicked OK.  The agent was created as advertised and works fine.

Still curious, though, should all of the other system attributes be on the Query pull down list as suggested by the Help File, or not?

« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2011, 9:14am by iGregor »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Jan 12th, 2011, 10:01am

The instruction both has a typo - it should - I believe - be 'a' and is also incorrect. The agent's (and adornment's) query-builder left drop-down has only ever listed "Text or Name", "Text", "Name" and then all user attributes for the active TBX doc. In other words I think that instruction needs re-writing completely. For system attributes other than Name/Text you need to type the value in the query box yourself.

The right-most query pull-down also has an error in that it users legacy syntax; the '=' should be '=='. So your query works only by legacy usage support (i.e. don't rely on that). The correct syntax is:

$TimelineBandLabels=="Outstory"

The Create/Rename dialog is, I believe, due an overhaul which should get the syntax creation back in line. In other words, it's known but might not be at the top of the fix pile just now, even if only because the legacy syntax is still supported.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
iGregor

Reply #4 - Jan 12th, 2011, 11:26am

Thanks, Mark.  

Quote:
The right-most query pull-down also has an error in that it users legacy syntax; the '=' should be '=='.

Where can I get an explanation of the difference between "=" and "==" ?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Jan 12th, 2011, 11:56am

Gah, this is where supporting legacy syntax sucks. In short, there isn't a difference in terms of an equality check. The only syntax to use today for "is equal to" is '=='. Do not use '=' in this context and if the query generator currently only outputs one treat it as an error and manually add a second one. The old '=' incorrect code still works in this context in order to help long-term users who can't/won't update their existing code (folk get understandably cranky when code they've had for years appears to break for no clear reason).

Elsewhere in action code, e.g. Rule, OnAdd, AgentAction, etc., you use a single '=' to set one attribute to the value of another attribute or code expression use '='. Going back a ways, '=' did the above job too. But that's yesterday. Today we use '==' for checking 'is equal to'.

For, the next aTbRef release, I've started weeding legacy examples. I think leaving them in simply confuses the learner. Feels like an overdue spring clean.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.