Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How export one document with links between notes? (Read 7420 times)
Stu

How export one document with links between notes?
Feb 20th, 2011, 8:51am

Sorry this is so simple but how do I export a simple journal to ONE document, in HTML with LINKS, that can be read in any browser? Entries are in the form of notes linked chronologically with some subject notes linked to or from entries where the subject occurs. Many thanks Leith

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: How export one document with links between notes?
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2011, 9:43am

It is simple but there's not quite enough info to provide a worked example answer. So:
  • Are all the notes descended from one (container) note)?
  • If not, how are they laid out at the top level (as viewed in Outline view)?
  • Is the content laid out on one level (e.g. all in one map) or are there several levels of descendant.
  • What does "with LINKS" imply?
The short simple' answer is "use a recursing template" but the very fact you're asking here implies that 'simple' answer won't make sense. My questions aren't pedantry but just to avoid you stubbing your toe on the next level of the problem.

As a public general example of recursing templates see aTbRef's sitemap page. So far so good, but likely you'll want $Text data and not just $Name but it shows the basic idea. (Download the aTbRef TBX form the site to see the templates).

I have a hunch you're trying something that - unwittingly - is not simple.  Although TB happily creates complex pages via includes (e.g. Mark Bernstein's blog), it doesn't create HTML links *if* the target of the link is included (embedded) in another note.  If you want all export to be on one HTML page you need to provide some staging. See this demo; effectively it create a single-page export with an HTML link Table of Contents. Note that you can't get inline links in $Text links to create/set in-page HTML anchors automatically. For now, that's a feature request.

(post-edit to fix link mark-up to Mark B's blog)

« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2011, 5:02am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Stu

Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2011, 11:12pm

Hi Mark, Thanks for responding. You are quite right. If I understood what you wrote, I wouldn't have needed to ask.  I'm in Beijing so a completely different living environment from usual, hence the journal, but it also means I can't get the Demo you hyperlinked to. I just get Blank Page in the Opera Tab.

In the Outline View it is just a straight list of notes. In Map View Entry for Day 1 is linked to Day 2 is linked to Day 3 etc. The titles are Date and subject. In addition there are some notes used to draw attention to particular topics e.g. Subway with links to or from Day x, Day y, Day z, etc. that discuss the experience on the subway. It is all in the one map. Basically this was a try-out as simple as possible to learn the process but the objective is to get away from linear writing so themes or topics can be followed organically.

Meanwhile the question is: how can I export this so recipients can read it and see the links? If I export it as text the heading format is lost, and often the heading is in the end of the previous paragraph. So much massaging and adding hyperlinks in Word is required it should have been written in Word in the first place. If I HTML export all the notes are separate and re-sorted into alphabetical order and there are no links between them.

Neither HTML View nor Document preferences mention links anywhere. Templates are referred to but not explained, the templates in the Hypertext Pane don't include links so how do I export hypertext, please?

Many thanks, Leith

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2011, 4:43am

Re the demo link, try right-clicking links; there should be an option to download the link's target. If Opera's broken in this regard, try Safari as that certainly works.

Although it's not mentioned specifically, my hunch is you're using basic links as opposed to text links to link your note in the map (both types are visible on a map). There's no right/wrong comparison there, but understanding what sort of links you're using has significant impact on how you export them.

By default the ^text^ export command will create a link for any text links. To export a page showing the note-level basic links, you  - the user - need add extra export code to do this. Try adding ^basicLinks()^ to the bottom of your HTML page template before the </body> tag. The extra parameters listed at the link are optional and for test purposes at this stage can be omitted. In case you're unfamiliar with HTML code you want to end up with a template a bit like this:
Code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
	  "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html>
<head>
	<title>^title^</title>
	<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
</head>
<body>
<h1>^title^</h1>
^text^
<p>Outbound links from this note:</p>
^basicLinks()^
</body>
</html> 

Doing this you should now see, in the exported pages the links that I believe you are currently missing. I'm deliberately side-stepping the export to a single page aspect as we need to first resolve the link visibility issue.

When the manual states:
Quote:
Basic links
If you choose, Tinderbox can add links to each Web page corresponding to the basic links from that note.

It is alluding to the user adding a ^basicLinks()^ code to their template.

You also comment:
Quote:
Neither HTML View nor Document preferences mention links anywhere. Templates are referred to but not explained, the templates in the Hypertext Pane don't include links so how do I export hypertext, please?

HTML-exported Links are controlled by the HTML template that the user chooses to use; I'd agree your task is made harder by the fact there's no built-in template that includes basic links. Meanwhile, (HTML) templates are explained in the manual, and at some length. In TB's HTML Help sidebar, click "Full Table of Contents". Before you experiment further ensure you've read all of articles "HTML Export", "HTML View", "HTML Templates" and "Complex Pages".

Hopefully all this will get your links showing up in export.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2011, 5:02am

To use the template code I cite above, it might help to do this:
  • If you haven't already, add the "HTML Template" built-in prototype to your TBX (via File -> Built-in Prototypes ->)
  • Next to the "Prototypes" container add a "Templates" note
  • Set the latter's $OnAdd to: $Prototype="HTML Template"
  • Select "Templates" and Shift-click the Return key to ad a child note. Name the note "page-links".
  • Open the note, select and copy my specimen template code above and then in "page-links" use the 'Paste and Match Style' method to paste in the code.
  • Select a note on your map that has outbound links and open HTML view.
  • From the templates drop-down select "/Templates/page-link".
  • Now view the HTML and/or export.  You should see the basic links listed.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Stu

Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2011, 7:12pm

Thanks Mark, I didn't realise I had to be a programmer. Daunting prospect but I'm working through it. As an end user ommission of a built-in template to export links is serious. Eastgate claims to be serious hypertext and TB to Visualise (true), Analyse (I see the possibilities) and SHARE but lacks the means to do so except as a crude word processor. This should, I feel, be a priority for development. Alternatively, a free reader would be a compromise but reasonable. Thanks for the great effort helping me out. Leith

GOT IT! I can export basic links! Thanks tremendously, Mark Smiley

« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2011, 8:46pm by Stu »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2011, 4:34am

Great! Glad it now works. I think the main disconnect for a starter is that there's no built-in template that includes a basic links call. Allied to that is there's no way (other than in the aTbRef listing) to view the code of the built-in templates. IOW, if you're lost at outset, those two issues combine to make it harder to  work your way into the problem.  I've already sent in a suggestion that there is a built-in template with a ^basicLinks^ code in it. I've also suggested that there be a mechanism to add built-in templates to the current TBX as template notes, following the way built-in prototypes can be applied.

Some self-assembly is required for HTML export, but often this only needs to be set up the once. The trap we all fall into is to assume that the task before us is self-evident, simple to define and one that everyone else is trying to do; experience proves otherwise. Exporting a single page from [some configuration] of notes throws up a lot of edge cases that don't fit a one size-fits-all-approach. How do we know which is the note exporting the 'wrapper' page? Do we include the wrapper note's $Text & other data or not? Which notes does the user then assume will be included? In what order? In a map layout, what determines order - the map co-ordinates or the underlying outline order? I'll confess to having wasted a good few hours along the way trying to figure a simple solution to this, so I'm not uninterested in resolving the all-in-one-page problem as one might assume.

Did you manage to download the export-as-single page demo OK? Working through that might help us find a way to address the all-in-one page part of your earlier problem.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Stu

Reply #7 - Feb 26th, 2011, 7:57pm

Thanks for you assistance Mark. I appreciate your efforts but TB isn't doing what I anticiapate and does inexplicable things like, in another project, after shifting 20 notes to rearrange a map OK, it then starts cloning the next I shift! I just don't understand it. Cheers, Leith. :'(

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #8 - Feb 27th, 2011, 5:45am

On a map, dragging a selection moves it, option-dragging a selection duplicates the notes. Holding down the option key sets the band select mode whereby dragging on the map will select all enclosed notes; also it creates a new selection any previously selected notes are de-selected unless still in the band-select area.

On the info given, (unintentionally) incorrect use of the Option key is the most likely cause of the unexpected copying of notes.

Anyway, if you want to follow up the is latter problem, I'd suggest starting a new thread in the Q & A sub-forum.

« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2011, 5:46am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print