Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
feature request and bug report (Read 2804 times)
Will Ray

Columbus Ohio
feature request and bug report
Mar 25th, 2011, 5:04pm

Feature - would it be possible to have a mode that carries over Map-view coloration (shape would be grand too) in the Chart view?  I am using things like gradients and borders in the Map, to automatically/dynamically highlight certain notes that I need to pay attention to, but since I can't see all the notes in the map view, and don't remember to click down into the full depth of the hierarchy, I still lose items.  If those attributes also displayed in the chart view, it would be a lot easier to browse what I need to see.

A similar request for the Explorer view also, please!

(yes, I know I can make an agent that culls the appropriate items for me, but that takes them out of context, and their context is important to me too)

Bug report is regarding badges in the Chart view.  In that view, the badge scales with the height of the item "box" in the chart.  if the item text spans multiple lines, the box gets taller, and the badge scales up.  Not a catastrophe by any means, but an inconsistency with respect to the behavior of the rest of the interface.

Thanks much,
Will

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: feature request and bug report
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2011, 5:43pm

If you're looking for notes, don't forget Locate view.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2011, 11:57pm

Well take a fresh look at this. There's a tension in chart view, insofar that charts can contain lots of notes; we don't want the chart to be too busy to see, or intractable to draw.

WWW   IP Logged
Will Ray

Columbus Ohio
Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2011, 8:56am

Might I suggest something like a $DisplayExpression, that carries a bit-string, indicating which Appearance properties should be obeyed for any particular view?

Couple this $AppearanceExpression with an $AppearanceDefault, using bitwise operations.

I'd envision something like giving each view (ideally, each actual instanced view) control over a $ViewName variable, and setting the $AppearanceExpression using something like

if($ViewName == "Map"){$AppearanceDefault & "010001001"}
elseif($ViewName =="Chart") {"011110000"}
else{$AppearanceDefault}

(please forgive the syntax - I haven't entirely internalized the scripting language yet, and fall back on C and Perlish style when I have to punt)

The bit-string would, of course, indicate which of any Appearance settings should apply.  This would, as well, let people turn /off/ the default display for Appearance features, where they didn't want them.

Then people who don't need the additional visual clutter don't have to see it, and people who do, can control it in a fairly fine-grained fashion.

Thanks again for the great product!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print