Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
101 question on best structure for course research (Read 4180 times)
Ian Greig

Wokingham, UK
101 question on best structure for course research
Apr 06th, 2011, 7:35am

Hi, I have used TB for a while. I struggle with the more complex features but maybe it's time to step up a bit...

I am preparing a course that will largely be based on three books. I will go through the chapters and summarise the content. I would like to use TB to flag up or link the topics that repeat in the basic reading.

Then I'll use TB to write the course units and hopefully point to the reference material in the three sources.

How would you 'old hands' go about setting this up (don't hit me with too much complex stuff pls :8-)

--IanG
  IP Logged
Steve Thorpe

London
Re: 101 question on best structure for course research
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2011, 3:26pm

Hi Ian,

I am a TB novice myself although I think I could offer some modest help with this. My first thought would be using Agents to search for key words. While this may be a rather blunt instrument to use, you could insert tag words into your notes.

A second thought would be using adornments. Assign some properties to each adornment and simply drop your notes into them as you find them.

Hope this helps.

Steve

stevenjthorpe   IP Logged
Stacey Mason

Eastgate Systems, Inc
Reply #2 - May 9th, 2011, 5:14pm

I agree that setting agents to find keywords would be really helpful.

The difficulty with saying "set up your document this particular way" is that it goes against the principle of allowing Tinderbox documents to grow naturally.  We really don't want to impose too much structure from the outset.

That said, my first impulse is to create a container for each book and dump in a bunch of notes.  You might try the "Common Words" feature under View>Common Words to see if there are key words that you haven't noticed and then set up agents to collect the notes with those keywords.  

Keeping the book notes in containers will also keep them out of the way when you get to the planning part, but they'll still be in the same document, making them accessible for searches and agents.

WWW   IP Logged
Deb

Reply #3 - May 10th, 2011, 12:50am

Just a 'twigger' here, but I make each book a prototype and assign each a color. Every note from one book is in one color, so I can always see one kind of connection.

Then I use adornments for organizing/sorting things once I see the direction the notes are taking/leading (sometimes this becomes layers of 'stacked' adornments if need be).

Not sure if that's applicable or helpful, but you never know...it just might be!

Good luck with the project.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print