Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mail Overwrite? (Read 3530 times)
Tom Shannon

Mail Overwrite?
Apr 29th, 2011, 5:03pm

Hi,

I don't know how "off the wall" it is but I do have a feature request.  I've begun using email to get many of my notes into Tinderbox - very nice.  Unfortunately when two emails have the same subject, the first is overwritten.

This becomes problematic.  For instance, I often send links with notes from Safari, which creates the email with the page title as the subject.  I frequently will make multiple notes from the same page.  If I forget to change the subject each time, I lose information.

I'd like to see one (or two) of three things and I apologize if either is present and I missed it.
1)  A preference setting which will allow the program to warn a user when a note is over written.
2)  Automatic renaming of duplicates
3)  Allowing duplicate subject titles.

Tom S.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Mail Overwrite?
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2011, 6:22pm

As a workaround for the present, consider emailing to Simplenote and syncing with Simplenote.

WWW   IP Logged
Tom Shannon

Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2011, 6:34pm

I'll do this.  Will that help with emails which specify attribute parameters?

Tom S.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2011, 4:24am

If you mean email import's support for embedding very short snippets of action code, then no. However, simplenote-synching notes are always contained in a single root-level 'Simplenote' container so targeting that with agents would be easy.

« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2011, 6:06am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Tom Shannon

Reply #4 - May 1st, 2011, 12:21pm

FWIW, I did put together a solution for this problem.

I made an automator workflow which automatically sends the highlighted portion of a Safari page along with the link (hooked to the $URL variable) to my Tinderbox email.  This script inserts a random string of eight characters at the end of the subject line with the following shell command:

openssl rand -base64 8

This has the added benefit of insuring that the email is converted to plain text (with another command).

I'm sure this could be done more robustly with an AppleScript (which I'm sure would also run much quicker and more reliably).  But such things take guys like me time because we don't do them often and I don't have it right now.

Tom S.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print